Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 181 - Call to Arms

Aprillian, Ashayo, Virshna and Jeppy discuss another week of playing World of Warcraft, Blizzard's great MMORPG. Contest Ongoing send an email to ctrlaltwow@gmail.com telling us how you play WoW, either as an altaholic or dealing with it in your family life to being placed in a drawing for a month free of WoW or a $10 iTunes Gift Card or an Authenticator.



What We've Been Doing:

Aprillian
Working on cleaning up the 3 expired RAF Accounts

Someone answered my pleas on The Addicted Podcast and now Aprillian has a new rocket.

Transferred a 62 pally from Wow1 to ER and then Faction changed - Quad boxed in Slave Pens with

Flying around Outland in rocket with Shaasha and Gål getting 1100 per discovery, Shaasha dinged 65, got Portal to shat



Aprillian & Vrishna
Ran Coilfang Resorvoir
Vrishna
Got Darkshore discovery. WOOT !

"I SWEAR, "The Island" is a REMAKE of Logan's Run !" What is Ashayo saying ? I wonder if any of my cast mates read my notes? Actually I wonder if any of our listeners really read the show notes?

Ashayo
DwP
- Ruby Sanctum - first one-shot of Halion
- Weekly - Malygos - first time kill on Jekle
- Heroic Marrowgar
- Normal Deathwhisper because Darnavon was the weekly (just rooted him whole fight) - won offhand upgrade - 200 to 251
- Heroic Gunship - won heroic waist
- Working on Heroic Saurfang. Needed to switch to dps, so doing some gear shuffle to get hit capped
- Reset ICC - Heroic Marrowgar - won healing trinket, Deathwhisper, Heroic Saurfang! dps/heal
Achievement: [Heroic: Storming the Citadel]

Crazy Train
- Sindragosa defeated!

Heroics
- Randomed into FoS again on my undergeared DK. On the first boss, all but me and a warrior died at the start of phase 2 -somehow I survived and we beat him down. Not so lucky on Devourer of Souls. Healer wasn't that strong, so ended up having a DPS switch to tank with better gear.

Misc
Mage dinged 68 in Sethekk Halls
Dual boxing with priest (ungrouped) in Borean Tundra. Hint: don't group. Use healbot and /focus to just assist by healing, and you still get max XP
Hit 70 in Caldarra. Randomed up got an 80 tank, ran 3 times - UK every time


Vestaa - run thru ZF , dinged 45. Bought heirloom chest and shoulders because Temp was getting ahead. Randomed into Mauradon - only have to do part of it to get satchel

Tip: Max out professions where racial bonuses exist - eg 460 Enchanting for Blood Elves.
Levelled enchanting to 455 - enchanters actually get it easy for the last 10 or so points, since they can just shatter abyss crystals and the result are mats they can use anyway.

Working on Heroic Acheivements
Respect your elders
Watch him die
Better off Dred
missed Less-Rabi by less than a second
Share the love

Taking back Echo Isles server event

Jeppy
This is BEEEEEEEEEEEETA!
Emails

Email #1

Hello CAW CAW !!!

Thank you for the shoutouts on last podcast. It has been a while since i sent in an email so here is the update, and yes i am a human being.. lol.

on Jub Jub
Enjoying raiding 25's on WINGFOOT(preist) and 10's on SEDEUCE (pally).
Loving the Auction house game whilst trying to cnr the market on a few items. Check out the Undermine Journal for prices on your server.
I got a chopper on my pally and i can see the attraction to this wonderful machine. LF partner to go on long rides on the beach.. hehe
Transfered the 80 Hunter WINGTIP accross and am PVP'ing with Bewbjob (Berat).
I have got Glory of the Hero drake and i am working on Glory of the Uldar Raider drake

on Winterhoof
Hunter is now lvl 25. shout out to elodar for assisting with the spawned horde white lion for me and Berat. you the man
Mage is now lvl 12
I am starting a warrior today.

Loving Life, Loving the game and love love loving the podcast.

To all those thinking about joining us on Winterhoof...DO IT!!! We dont bite Hard !!!

Wingy

ps: Come bust a move where the game is played. It's kewl, It's hype , It's Aprillians Arcade !!!

pss: If i win i would love a chopper !!!! haha.



Email #2 Mitchell of Frostmourne

hello the MIGHTY Ashayo! the wise Jeppy, the Wounderful Aprillian and the laughful Virshna???
First time mailing in to the Ctrl alt wow crew your podcast is awesome, i know u must get this alot but anyways back to my point. Ive been listening since episode 159 and love it and cant wait till the 200mill stone.
My story for the contest. im 15 and i live in a house with 2 sisters and a mum and dad. my young sister likes to go on the computer to annoy me when all she does is youtube and muck around. when my mum tells me to get of she comes down and bugs me when im raiding or something and its realy sad because i get no fat loot (cough cough aprillian). When i get of she laughs and rubs it in my face how she can go on and i cant get any loot. and my elder sister just loves her facebook and music downloads which sucks because it chews through our internet time and she takes for ever. She is always teasing me to get a life and all and how il turn out to be a hobo. im limited to 1 hour a day because of my exsesive wow gameplaying and my dad hates it because im not the man/boy he wants me to be. all though i work hard in school. its realy hard to play wow and get decent game time out off it and i also multibox which means i pretty much throw money away with such little gametime. it cost 50$ for a two month game time card in New zealand. and to win the game time card would be awesome.
sorry this was rushed due to over time thanks to my mum
keep up the good work and For The HORDE!!!!! mitchell of frostmourne.
ps. Jeppy whats the best areas to lvl from 1-60 duel boxing horde side thanks



Email #A from Cryotank

Hi, Ctrl Alt WoW gang.

You guys are awesome. I love your show.

I listen to several WoW podcasts and yours is the most fun for me. Probably because, like you, I love making many alts. I have at least fifteen toons scattered across half a dozen realms. (Not counting the ten or so that I started but never played out of their starting zones.)

I love that you guys talk a lot about low-level stuff.

I've been playing WoW regularly for over two years and have yet to hit 70 (much less 80). My habit is to play a character as long as they are fun. And as soon as I get tired of a character I make a new one, or go back to an old one. Not a good method for creating 80's but definitely a good method for having a lot of fun. And having fun is the only reason I play WoW.

After I heard about your new guild on Winterhoof I started a new toon there in the hopes of joining your guild. Leelaa is a Night Elf hunter, level 12 as I type this. And a few days ago, I transferred my level 62 Night Elf hunter, Kheelaa to Winterhoof from Earthen Ring. I don't use twitter, but I hope you'll let me join the CAW guild anyway.

I know how much work it is to do a podcast. I've been doing one since 2005. Mine's called "The Future And You." It gives me an excuse to interview people for their ideas and opinion about the changes we will see in the future. During the five years I've been doing the show I've interviewed over 200 people and done 163 episodes. Check it out if you get a chance. You can find it on iTunes or at www.TheFutureAndYou.com.

My favorite parts of your show is when you or a listener tells about some noobish thing you or they did in WoW. I don't have one as good as the cockroach pet from undercity that refused to attack mobs, but here is one of mine.

In the summer of 2008 I hadn't played a computer game more complicated than tetris in fifteen years. (Back in th mid nineties I beat the games Duke Nukem and Biomenace--a task that took only a couple of weeks each.) I had heard of WoW but knew nothing about it and had no interest in checking it out, since I knew how games can eat up a lot of free time. However, at that point I had been very active in Second Life for over a year. The people I knew in Second Life were all as obsessed with the future as I am, and we would have big get togethers in that virtual world, since in the real world we were scattered across four continents. I attended lectures and discussions inside Second Life almost every week.

Well one day I was invited to become a founding member of a new international group of futurists who I normally met with in Second Life. I was very excited by this honor. Many of them played WoW and EVE Online and other games and so I was only a little surprised when they announced that the very first meeting would be held inside Silvermoon City on the Earthen Ring realm.

I think they chose Silvermoon City because it is big and pretty. But another reason might be that Second Life gets very laggy if you put more than fifty characters in one place.

I wasted no time downloading the free trial version of World of Warcraft. I created an Orc Shaman and gave him the same name I used in Second Life (Boc Cryotank) so everyone would recognize me.

They mentioned I should level my character to at least level 6 before trying to leave the starting zone. And so I did. The day before the big meeting I found a map of Azeroth online somewhere and set out on my epic trek.

The journey from Durotar turned out to be far more difficult than I expected. I managed to find my way across the ocean to Trisfal Glades on a blimp, and followed the road toward Silvermoon. But I ran into a problem every time I tried to enter what I did not know at the time to be the Eastern Plague Lands. I kept getting killed with amazing rapidity by giant spiders.

Not one to give up, I decided to head north from Undercity to the ocean and swim along the coast until I got to Silvermoon City. My hope was that there would not be any sea monsters in my way.

I swam and swam and swam. I did not know that I could have pushed the numlock key to make my orc keep swimming and so I kept my finger pressed on the "up cursor" key for over forty-five minutes. I had to keep switching fingers since they would get uncomfortable after about ten minutes. I swam so long that I swam past--I repeat PAST--the place where Silvermoon City would be if Silvermoon City were included in the free trial version of WoW. I swam until I realize that the City was not there.

I was stumped. This was impossible. How could the city not be there? I had no clue.

Needless to say I missed the meeting. And I was very disappointed to learn later that if I had bought the Burning Crusade expansion I would have had the city and made the meeting. But the good news is that my adventure opened my eyes to the wonderful world of WoW.

Today Boc Cryotank is in AIE guild.

My other toons on Earthen Ring are:
Vorah (my highest toon) a 67 level Blood Elf Warlock.
Keelaa (my second highest) a 62 level Night Elf Hunter.
Euin (who bears my real middle name--which is pronounced "YOU win") a 28 level Blood Elf Hunter. (Also in AIE)
Moldee: a 14 level undead Warlock.
Bokk: a 20 level Warrior.
Eelah: a 12th level Night Elf Druid.
Klova: a 29 level Dranei Hunter.
Equin: a 8 level Night Elf Rogue.
Lomahongva: a 13 level Troll Mage.

And I have four toons on Steamwheedle Cartel.

I also created a few horde characters on Jubathos thinking I might join Pants on Head, but the bulk of that guild seems to be 80s and I may never get that high since I keep making new toons. Even my Death Night; Draalikara is only level 57 and has yet to get out of the starting zone.

Thanks again for the wonderful show, and for making me feel not at all weird for my inability to stay with a character all the way to level 80.

You guys are great.

Thanks,
Euin (again, that's pronounced "YOU win")


PS. Once again, my Winterhoof toons are Kheelaa and Leelaa. I don't use twitter, but I hope you'll let me join the Ctrl Alt WoW Guild anyway.

PPS. Please don't enter me in the contest. I don't want to reduce other people's chances of winning a pet or game time.

PPPS. For the WoW!



Email #3 from Volkner

Hey there this is Volkner form the server Ner'Zhul Alliance side. Just want to say a little to you guys about your podcast. I listen to about 4 podcasts a week, and now seeing yours 5 for sure. I have listened to the last 6 episodes i the last day. I just have to say that The Instance was my favorite podcast, but the way you guys make me laugh makes my day more enjoyable. I love you guys, and I am new to your podcast but expect me for many more episodes.

Email #4 from Razuris

Hey Ctrl Alt WoW Crew!


I’ve been listening to your fine podcast for almost a year now and love every minute of it! About three years ago, a couple of my employees suggested I play this game called World of Warcraft. They actually put their money together and gave it to me as a Christmas gift. I loaded the game, started playing and I was hooked! (They have since quit playing WoW… isn’t that sad?)


My first toon was a gnome warlock. My goal was to get that really cool Felsteed mount. (Back then… you had to wait until level 40! Remember those days??) Around level 44, I decided to try other race/class combinations. This was the beginning of my altoholism.


I did end up feeling really comfortable playing a human mage. In the starting area, I think I was level 4, I was approached by a guild leader to join their guild. I did and it was a great decision. The guild members were all extremely helpful and actually made me feel comfortable with running instances. (I never had…) After several months, there was a divide in the guild… some people wanted to raid Kara while the guild leader wanted to not push people to raid, but rather keep the game relaxing and fun to the point where he was telling people they couldn’t run Kara if they wanted to stay in his guild. This caused a major divide and several people quit the guild to create their own. I had friends in the original guild and the new one and was forced to decide where I wanted to be. Eventually that decision was made for me. The guild leader disbanded the original guild out of frustration so I joined the new guild. The heavy raiding atmosphere of the new guild turned out to be too much for me. With what little time I had to play, I wanted to quest, do dailies and work on professions, but upon logging on was told I had to raid. I wasn’t having fun anymore, but didn’t want to hurt anyone buy quitting the guild either. Instead, I said goodbye to my human mage and his alts: the human priest, the dwarf hunter, the night elf druid, the draenei shaman, the dwarf paladin, the gnome rogue AND the gnome warlock. I then started new toons on a new realm.


After a while, real life got in the way and I never seemed to be able to find the time to complete even a simple quest. But now things have finally slowed down, and I now have the time to start playing again. During the downtime, I continued to listen to you guys… AND Aprillian! Once I heard about the CAW guild on Winterhoof, I knew where to go. I’ve started a human priest named Razuris and he’s currently level 23. I just started questing in Duskwood… it’s so creepy there, but I love it! Hope to be a part of your guild soon!


For the Alliance!!


Razuris


P.S. – Don’t worry!!! I haven’t purged a single toon!! J



Email #5 from Oak

Hey gang,

Keep up the good work. I continue to enjoy every episode. I have a quick question though.

Why wouldn't you sell "enchanted Brooms" and such on the shared auction house instead of transferring them across? Is it that no one uses it any more? I haven't looked at it in quite awhile. LOL, maybe I just answered my own question!

Oak of PoH


Email #6 from Paul
Hey all

I was wondering if there is anything special that needs to be done to join your guild on winterhoof. I play(ed) Traden in the CtrAltTrek fleet who now lost in a wormhole somewhere.

I have a lone alliance warlock that is looking for a new home.

Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks

--
Paul

Email #7 from Chris

Hi.guys. Just to let you know about soulstones. You can make one put it on whoever, then make anther one to have ready to use. Just thought I would let you know

Email #B from Nevik
Hey there JAVA!

Destroyer of elite even-level mobs here. While I haven't been able to spend as much time in Azeroth as I would like, I have been having fun with my little op draenei mage on Winterhoof.

OP?! Really?

Oh yes, my frost mage has been having quite the time going around Blade's Edge Mountains solo'ng content intended for groups of 3. Between kiting, slowing and creative use of geography, I've had little trouble downing even-leveled elite mobs.

She's hit level 68 and although I /could/ head back to Northrend, I'm purposely exploring all of the TBC content that I missed from the Alliance perspective. Although I probably won't quest through both the Netherstorm and Shadow Moon Valley, I'm in no hurry to move into WotLK content just yet.

I've also been distracted from my rogue leveling project by farming for the Zulian tiger mount in Zul'Gurub with my death knight after learning that ZG will no longer exist as a raid in Cataclysm. It's a shame that ZG is being removed, but I'm sure Blizz has other plans for the "zone" ... well let's hope at least.

As if ZG farming wasn't enough of a distraction, I also managed to get into an open beta for another MMO, but so far my experiences with that have been less than stellar. Abysmal you might say, but I won't elaborate any further. Needless to say, it appears that I won't be leaving WoW anytime soon.

Finally, another distraction reared its head in the form of the Zalazane's fall. What a fun little quest-line, I only wish Blizzard had tested the final event a bit more because it is prone to bugging out. Oh well, in a couple of days I'm sure my troll rogue will be pulling his daggers out of Zalazane's limp corpse and celebrate the re-establishment of his homeland.


For the O-P! And For the Homeland!

Nevik


Email #C from Mattdiox
Hello CAW crew with your Aprillian that does the hosting and things, the Ashayo that does the sexy voice and the raiding, The big V who does the happy go lucky new to WoW things and the Jeppy. Well he's British, that just says how awesome he is right there.

I have news that will make Aprillian happy I think. I think I already told you guys that I recently finished my GCSEs. That's 5 years of my life now finished with exam results to prove it. Long story short I got all Bs and for the reward I asked for a Macbook! It's going to be used for college and with Garage band and the like I may incorporate it into my podcasting and Ghoul's Store like stuff.

Also on a more WoW related topic, the last time I emailed you I asked you a question about a friend who wants to move realms. Well what has recently come to pass is she now just wants to quit WoW. This makes me sad because she was fun to talk to. But oh well, just thought I would update you guys on that.

My priest has still not levelled past 74 because I am finding it so hard to concentrate when playing WoW. Although I can't think of anything better to do, I don't really feel like playing Wow either. Have you guys got any ideas how I can gain back the enthusiasm for WoW I used to have?

Also in the secret underground bunker where I make a zombie record lines for me. I recently held hostage to the one and only Juuno, there she was forced to record lines as well and I edited it all together to make. (Please say this in a loud and epic voice>>) Junno's Visit to the Ghoul's Store!!! I had a lot of fun writing and putting this together and Juuno you were an absolute star with your lines. I hope you all enjoy listening to this.

Lot's of love, potatoes, Apple tech and zombies.
- Matt

P.S Big V! Jub Jub! Pandarian Monk!

Bloop.


Email #D Bidkar
Greeting Aprillian, Ashayo, Jeppy and Vrishna,

Bidkar level 13 Worgen rogue from the Lost Isles server here. Bidkar the mage recently picked up the "Explorer" title. I had the exploration for most of the world done for quite some time, but I was reticent to finish exploring Kalimdor because of the Alliance islands. It seemed like it would be a bit tricky. I finished the easy parts of Kalimdor on a Saturday night. I picked it up again on Sunday morning since I figured that would be a slow time and not many players would be on.

I hopped the boat to Azuremyst Isle pretty easily and did the exploration. Darnassus was a bit harder. There was a higher level npc on the boat and she wouldn't let me on and she had quite the knockback so I had a hard time staying in range to kill her. The boat left without me, the next boat brought an 80 night elf hunter who promptly shot me. That boat left and I pondered my situation. I looked online and saw a death knight rode along side the boat and went to Darnassus like that. The boat goes too fast for me to do so, but I remembered one time on my alliance toons I glitched inside the boat without actually boarding the boat. I drank my waterwalking potion and waited on the water for the boat, the boat came, I glitched inside by standing still where the boat parks. The boat took off, I had to ride to stay inside but it still carried me to the portal to Darnassus, where the night elf girls shake their *****. I finished the exploring and picked up the title "the Explorer".

http://www.outlandishpodcast.com/parodies.html

Later that same day, Bidkar picked up the polar bear mount from the Brunhildar in Storm Peaks. He's been trying for some time and recently had given up hope. I just do the daily if I happen to be in the area.

I've been grinding gold lately since I want the Traveler's Mammoth and the mechano-hog. I've tripled my gold just by mining in Outland. Nobody is ever out there and the adamantite sells for 42g a stack on my server. I turn the eternium into enchanting rods, save the khorium for my engineer. You also pick up the primal fire and earth which get a fair bit of gold. I also kill all the air elementals I see to get the motes of air. I'm the only one who ever has any motes of air on the auction house so I get a fair price for them. I never overcharge like some people do when they have a monopoly on the auction house, I just like to get a fair price, that's enough for me. I do the mining on my paladin, Jehi, who recently received exalted status from the Mag'har in Nagrand. I was picking up quite a few of the beads from killing the ogres standing by the ore. I decided on another Sunday morning to grind out the reputation up to exalted. I picked up the Talbuk mounts for Jehi, then I decided to go about and pick up enough mounts to get the "Leading the Calvary" achievement. Jehi now has the albino drake from the achievement. I have him also doing the Netherwing dailies in Outland so he can pick up the cool mount from them.

I recently was allowed into the beta. I played a worgen rogue up to level 13. I won't give any spoilers but I strongly recommend that everyone plays a worgen even if you don't like Alliance. I loved the worgen starting area. I also copied over my paladin for questing. I picked up the 310 speed from the trainer by flight point in Orgrimmar. I don't know if that worked or not. The flying doesn't seem faster but I am never a good judge of such things. I flew around taking a look at everything.

Hope everyone is doing well.

For the Horde and for the Alliance,

Bidkar the Explorer and his many alts


Email #


Shout Outs & Thank You
Momomoments

I have not played a single minute of wow this week!
Yes and I know what you are all thinking and I am on my way to check myself out with the wow doctors.

I will report in next week with the results.

Happy Birthday to the Wych,

I saw Ink and it is an interesting movie,

and that is it for Mo,

oh I forgot to say hello,
Hello everyone and I will redeem myself next week with a better email as I know I have failed you this week.


--
Mo



Kurly BAU = Business As Usual

znark (@znarkk)
8/30/10 6:01
@ctrlaltwow Shadow form (31st talent in shadow tree - i.e. level 40) on a rocket shadows the rocket and the passenger

No comments:

Post a Comment