Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 185 - Patchmegadon

Aprillian, Ashayo, Virshna and Jeppy discuss another week of playing World of Warcraft, Blizzard's great MMORPG. Contest Ongoing send an email to ctrlaltwow@gmail.com telling us how you play WoW, either as an altaholic or dealing with it in your family life to being placed in a drawing for a month free of WoW or a $10 iTunes Gift Card or an Authenticator.


Hello Darlings!
 
Just want you to know that I am still working on the bumpers!  Just been busier than I thought here...hehehe...but we'll get them, no worries. 
 
*big hugs*
 
Juuno


What We've Been Doing:


Aprillian

Paid for the Blizzcon feed

Loving the new 3D gallery on the Amory app. Did some AH transactions

Aprillian & Vrishna


Ran Gnomeragan, again

Elevator mishap.

Vrishna

The twins reached 34. STILL no dragon in Twilight Grove. Finished discovery of Duskwood. Found cavern in Raven Hill Cemetery.

Ashayo


Jeppy


Emails

Email #A

Howdy howdy howdy Vrishna, Jeppy, Ashayo and Aprillian,

Bidkar the Snowman here.  I found my Winter Veil disguise and now have added snowman dancing to my repetoire.  I bought 10 stacks of snowballs last Christmas so I have plenty work with.  Bidkar bought low and sold medium on the auction house.  I would just like to remind people not to put netherweave bags on the ah for a low price.  Some snowman will buy them all and sell them for a reasonable profit.  Also, for everyone who lists pages and pages of single items, STOP IT!  Nobody likes it.  Just because your mother and father were first cousins doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer.

I worked on leveling my death knight, Altheah to 80.  As of this email, she is at 79 and a half, so hopefully by the time you read this she will be 80.  I had contemplated changing her race from troll but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  She was a toon I brought over from Auchindoun because she had maxed Inscription.  I have such fond memories of Auchindoun and want to keep them intact I guess.  I'll just have to block out her annoying traits.  I'm still learning to appreciate the class for what it has to offer but my death knight is turning out to be quite fun.

I also discovered this week that priests are great at pvp. I was in Orgrimmar on my priest Sagrado and the Alliance made their move.  I always defend Thrall when he gets attacked as all good Horde do.  I will not be defending Garrosh, so he better grab his ankles and take it because I think he's gonna be on his own.  I don't think too many people will be rushing over to help him.  I think he will get the same treatment as the leader of  the Blood Elves. That poor guy rarely gets any help at all.  Anyway, I did pretty well on the priest killing the Alliance.  It always amazes me how powerful priests really are.

I bought epic flying for my warlock Allerea and will be buying epic flying for my priest.  I still haven't bought the mechano-hog.  I think I may just wait until my engineer can buy the recipe for himself.  I also renamed my Traveler's Mammoth to Twinkletoes.  I grew up on a farm and we had a cow named Twinkletoes.

That's it for now.  I hope whoever was ill is feeling better.  Have you heard from Glanthur or Blade yet?  Just wondering.  People sure come and go quite a bit on podcasts.  I always wonder what happened to them.

For the Horde and For the Alliance!

Bidkar and his many alts

Email #B

Hi Aprillian, Ashayo, Virshna, and Jeppy!

Iceflow here again to tell you what Caoboi and I have been doing in game.  I'm only three weeks behind in the podcast (just finished episode 181) so I'll be caught up soon.

I'm sure you all have talked about the devastating news about the 600 toon cap on the guilds.  This has thrown my main guild AIE of Earthen Ring into a tizzy (do people still say tizzy?).  Everything is up in the air right now but I know that my toons on ER will have a home somewhere.  Because of the panic, Caoboi and I joined Pants on Head with our level 1 paladins and my level 60 Druid and his level 70 priest.  Everybody was super welcoming and I look forward to spending time with them.

We've been too busy with Coren Direbrew and other business to get over to our toons, on Winterhoof but we've been itching to to get over there.

So I can't talk about how lucky Caoboi was during Brewfest anymore.  During the whole event, I got the Kodo twice on my priest, the kodo on my paladin,  and the kodo and the ram twice on my hunter Iceflare.  Unfortunately, my main, Iceflow, wanted them more than anyone.  Sadly she came up empty this Brewfest.  Oh well, there's always next year.  Caoboi didn't get anything on his main either.  I guess we are pretty lucky after all.

My main, Iceflow, has been diligently working on her argent crusade seals because I want all the tabards, mounts, and pets.  I'll be working on this for a while yet but it's a goal for me to work after.

I've started the quest to get the ravasaur on my rogue and my druid.  There's a quest in the chain that dictates that you have to get poisoned by the ravasaur.  I was having a hard time on my rogue because she was killing them super fast even with no weapons.  Caoboi came up with the great idea of taking all of her clothes off.  It worked like a charm and I got my 20 poisons in no time.  Only my husband would come up with the solution of me getting naked.

Caoboi already has his ravasaur and he's working on his druid's ravasaur.

On the raiding front, our 25 man killed the Lich King for a second (and probably final) time last night for everybody who wasn't able to kill him the first time.  With the raiding changes coming in patch 4.01, I think our 25 man will go the way of the dodo.  That's fine with us.  It gives us more time to play our alts.

As always, no need to put me in the contest.  We hope everybody is doing well.

Iceflow and Caoboi


Email #1 from Moranith

Hi Aprillian, Ashayo, El Jeppy and Vrishna.
An lets not forget about Juuno (How you doing!).
I have enjoyed the show you guys put on and want to say thanks for all the good time.
Moranith here a level 80 Protection/Holy Paladin on the Cenarion Circle server.
My real life friends got me to play Wow last year and then stopped playing. But I stayed
and got a lot of four alts to level 80. I have a level 68 Blood Elf Priest but saving that for
Cataclysm before I start to level her again.
My friends are thinking about coming back for Cataclysm and am thinking of playing a Goblin or Worgen.
At the end of Sept I got invited to join the guild Doomtidings. I was assigned into one
of the guilds raid groups as a tank.
The next day I was told to report to Orgrimmar for a gear upgrade. Daemonus the guild
leader made me  Breastplate of the White Knight, Saronite Swordbreakers and Pillars
of Might. So I wont to thank every one in the guild for the upgrades.
That night I was the off tank for my first ICC 10 man run and got the Neverending Winter, Broken Ram Skull Helm and the Ashen Band of Greater Courage - Honored.
I copied my toon to the PTR and found out how much the Paladin Teir 10 healing set would cost in Justice Points.
Do you think it would be a good idea to save the Emblem of Triumph and buy the set for a off set since I am duel sped?

Email #2 from Kephas, (not key-phas) :)


Hello C.A.W. crew!

Thanks again for reading my story. I just wanted to send a quick email to explain how I use a an xbox 360 controller. In order to use a wireless controller you will need this device:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=xbox+360+pc+controller&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9984239196350938768&ei=PuOtTOy-NIbGlQeU3_GcBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD4Q8wIwBA#

Or you can simply use a wired controller. The driver should install automatically upon plugging it in. All you need now is software to bind keys to the buttons on your controller. I use a program called Pinnacle Game Profiler. It costs $19 one time and is supported with updates and continues to add new features.

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

With a few keybinding changes in game and a few addons, I've ended up with a pretty nice setup.

~Kephas

PS: Kephas, (not key-phas) :)

Email #C Whofirst

The alt crew,
Well I guess here is an unexpected part 2 to my first email. I am sending this on my droid phone and I guess they need to make the buttons bigger so I don't press 4 of them at once.
Anyways I was just saying ty.  I was so nervous sending in my email that my heart was racing.  I don't know how an email can do that to me when I am a _____ and deal with way more stress stuff on a daily bases.  I sent the email and I calmed down but then I saw in the show notes that you actually read it!  I coundnt listen to the show fast enough.  My heart raced and I began to get very warm when I heard that you had reached the email section of the show.  Many things were going through my mind and of couse they all ended badly.  When you reached the end of my email I felt calm and relaxed and decided I better do that again sometime.  What a rush lol, still can't believe I got that worked up over a simple email.  Also ty for rolling my number, I will take any of the pets.  THANK YOU so much for your hard work!
I moved an alt to winterhoof in hopes of joining the guild.  He is a 58 druid that is tree/boomkin of course lol.  His name is whonow since for some reason I was on one of those kicks.  I joined the caw channel but no one was on to add me but will continue to check.  I signed up for a twitter account just so I could join the guild but I really have no idea what I am doing on it.
Well thanks again and I can't wait to hear your next show.
Whofirst thunderhorn

Email #D from Kurly

Hello All!  My but its been a few weeks since I have sent word of my many adventures in Azeroth!  But, life as you know, sometimes happens.  For the most part its been a busy couple of weeks.  Viranelda's recon mission has ended.  Disguised as a Tauren she was sent by Elune and was happy to report that her Druid brothers and sisters of in the Horde are, indeed, offering proper worship.  She has since been returned to her Night Elf body, and resumes her fight.  (okay....enough RP there)
 
Elsanelda was able to obtain enough Heirloom Items to allow for the creation of three clothies when the expansion hits.  She, too, has returned home. 
 
My Priest, Mhetzo, is part of a 3V3 team my guild has been playing in arenas and we have been doing pretty okay.  She is in mostly 251 pvp gear and the other night in a few battle grounds I was able to watch with utter, glorious, maniacal gratification as most of the other players could barely scratch me....sweet, sweet joy!
 
In a recent podcast Eljeppy made mention of multi-boxing in BG's.  Over the last year or so I have been part of BG's with people multi boxing and it never really turned out all that well. 
 
In one, there was a warlock running around with three other warlocks clearly on follow, this was in Warsong Gultch so that one person was making up 40% of the team.  He was able to put four spells on every toon he chose to target,  and clearly that target died, which was great if that target was the flag carrier.  However, it was so clear what was going on that everyone on the opposing team targeted his "others" and alternate res cycles had the guy waiting for all four of his toons to res..  We lost every bg he was in.
 
In another, someone had three Paladins two running Ret and the third Holy.  It worked out really well at first, but once the other team figured it out, it was the same thing.  It seemed that each of the toons were working independently but as soon as one died...the other two stopped.
 
These are just the examples I have seen, but as you can see they did not go so well.

Anywho......My best, love and great big furry man hugs to you all!!

XOXO
Kurly

Email #E from Grim


My name is Grim... and I'm still an Altoholic


G'day everyone,

I recently got dragged back in to playing WOW a bit more on my tired old laptop computer by all the Cataclysm news, BlizzCon news etc.  Anyway, although I'm not multi-boxing anymore I'm enjoying trying to complete my 'set' of 80s (only rogue - lvl 63 right now - warrior and mage to go) as well as continuing the looooong rep grinds towards 'the Exalted' title.  By the end of the week I will be at 38 exalted reps and that is where I'll have to stay until Cata.  My problem is I don't have a regular enough schedule to raid and therefore I haven't got any of the reps from the higher level raids such as ICC-Ashen Verdict.  Also, my mind came close to exploding when I discovered what it would take to go from Hated to Exalted with Aldor!

No real point to this email.  I just wanted to let you know how listening to the show helps give me ideas for activities to pursue in game.  It also allows me to live the 'raiding experience' vicariously through Ashayo.  Thanks mate!

Take care and STOP HITTING EACH OTHER! :-)

- Grim.

p.s. please don't include me in the roll for prizes.

Email # F from Eranth

Trying to Catch up

C-A-W Crew,

I’m sorry it’s been a while since I dropped you a line, Aprillian & guys.  I hope this missive finds you well, and we’re not missing anyone, [read: Jeppy.]

On to the Eranth-Update:  The game card you sent me for being the lucky number was very nice to have.  I tried to be sure to get ample use it of it on the schedule I’ve had lately.  And, it’s interesting, because I checked last night, and I think it’s been a couple of weeks since it expired now.  I was pondering what to do when it expired, when only a couple of days after it, I discovered that this was this new entry in my Battle Net account….  [Quick, Vrishna, distract Aprillian…….]  I’d been selected to get into the Cata-Beta.  (Sorry Aprillian, I just don’t know how to transfer such things…I’m sure it was a fluke, an accounting error! Yours got lost in the mail, perhaps?)

So, as a result, I haven’t let re-upped my game time, but instead have been focusing on the Cata-Beta and working to diligently report bug and relay the ‘average causal player’ opinion on the current build of the software from the Hunter perspective.  The quest I took has me spun off in the underwater content.  And, I have to say, I’m not sure you’d like it, Aprillian.  So far, it’s sorta a struggle, since pets don’t seem to work the way you expect them to underwater.  The animations aren’t right [Note to self: Report pet animations underwater], they seem to have trouble staying on target in a 3D environment, the mobs tend to get slowly reeled back into you for no apparent reason.  However, I can report that some of the story lines and quest lines are pretty nifty thus far…y’know, when mobs and pets aren’t falling through the ‘floor’ in some places. ;-)

By now, you’ve probably discussed some of the recent kerfuffle Blizzard has raised with the first 600 toon, and now 1,000 toon cap on guilds.  Of my Earthen Ring toons, I have 2 that are still in AIE, and ..um, 3 that fell out due to inactivity.  I’m a little torn on if I should bite the bullet and re-up a game card and try to get them back in before 4.0.1 comes in, but that could be Tuesday, and I imagine by this time I won’t be able to get my alts back in before then.  However, if the patch doesn’t come down this week, I probably should, I suppose.  However, being one who tends to concentrate on one toon, or just a couple of toons at a time, I feel badly that I’m either working on the Cata-Beta and wasting a game-card, or feel like I’m not holding up my side of the deal by not working some on the Cata-Beta while keeping my toons up. Oh, the slings and arrows!  (See, Aprillian, this whole Cata-Beta is a double-edge sword!)

At any rate, I should wrap up my blathering and let you get on to other emails.  However, if you’ve got some suggestion to my conundrum, I’d certainly be open to other points of view and thoughts on the matter.

“Be well…”

Eranth
Tauren Hunter of AIE on Earthen Ring


Email #3 from Thadeos

RAF & Multiboxing

I've recently RAF'd myself so I can get 8/10 characters(2 slots left for a worgen and a goblin) on my second account. I've never actually duel boxed before, i've boosted myself with a higher character. basically I'm just wondering what software you use for key cloning and other such things. If there's another episode where you've gone over this that'd be much appreciated :D I don't really get the wall of text on wowwiki and it seems like I have to pay for the software..

Also do any of you pvp as you level? Me and my friend are levelling a lock and pally and so far we've done pretty well. The pally is the first healer I’ve tried in pvp and I always seem to be top of the healer list since there are generally no healers in low level bg's. we got wrecking ball, well I say we, I healed him and he ran around doing what locks do dot dot dot fear etc. oh people get so annoyed when you get the flag hold midfield wsg and farm kills now they can get exp from pvp. :P

Thadeos 80 Death Knight - Lightbringer EU



Email #4 from Agruvona

Greetings you Awesome Pod-peoples:

So I was just in normal mode Pit of Sauron, (where I got Item Level 219 Epic shooter Rimebane Rifle weeeeeee!!!!!!) but we had this tank who died twice in the first two pulls, and he remarks, "Gee, I guess I'm really undergeared."  And somebody answers, "Probably."  And because had a really good pug full of people who understand that nobody's perfect, and WoW is not a game of "perfect," we go on from there to finish the dungeon. 

So then later I go look at the tank's Armory page and I notice the guy has no shield.

OK, so correct me if I'm wrong but if you're a WARRIOR and you're TANKING you ought to be carrying a SHIELD, right??? or every mob that comes along is going to BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR FACE AND SNAP ALL YOUR BONES IN HALF AND PAINT THE WALLS AND FLOORS WITH YOUR BLOOD!!!!

I mean, maybe I'm just a dumb hunter but it seems to me that if you can carry a shield, HEY!  TRY IT SOMETIME!!!

Happy hunting  :>

Agruvona of Terokar



Shout Outs & Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment