Monday, August 10, 2009

Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 127 - Patches I'm Depending on You Son

Aprillian, Glanthur and Ashayo discuss another week of playing World of Warcraft, Blizzard's great MMORPG. Contest Ongoing send an email to ctrlaltwow@gmail.com telling us how you play WoW, either as an altaholic or dealing with it in your family life to being placed in a drawing for a month free of WoW or a $10 iTunes Gift Card or an Authenticator, they are back in the store.

Patch 3.2 - The abridged patch notes:

  • Trial of the Champion - 5 man dungeon
  • Trial of the Crusader - 10 and 25 man dungeon
  • New Argent Tournament dailies for Crusader ; mounted squire ; tabard for port to AT grounds

  • Trading soulbound items in raids

  • Summoning mount is 1.5 seconds

  • Druid : Innervate gives half as much mana, but can be used twice as often
  • Hunter : Can have one of each trap down at a time
  • Paladin : Nerfed healing
  • Shaman : Simplified totem bar ; allows putting them down in groups
  • Warlock : Banish cancelled if re-cast

  • Doubled paned quest log
  • Character name auto-complete
  • Colourized class names
  • Druids see mana bar when shape shifted
  • Item comparison: hold shift
  • Option to show item level
  • Vendor prices listed on items

  • Wolvar and Gorloc orphans in Dalaran ; will be around for Children's Week too
  • Portal to Blasted Lands Dark Portal - & fly direct to Shatt
  • Zepp from Org to TB
  • More mailboxes
  • Horde Venonhide Ravasaur mount in Un'goro
  • Alchemy
    • potions stack to 20
    • epic gem transmutes ; quest for Cardinal Ruby
  • Engineering
    • lots!
  • Fishing
    • Over 300 Waterlogged Recipe in fishing reward bag ; tradable ; dalaran cooking awards
  • Inscription
    • Master's Inscription increased
  • JC
    • recipes for epic gems
    • prospect titanium
  • heirloom item - Tome of Cold Weather flying - use on alt at 68


Special Shout Out

Xandar's wife had a baby boy last night.

What We've Been Doing:


Aprillian

What to do, what to do. I decided with my DK's that I would split them up and do quests Dual Boxing. Went back to do the Shat City Quest. Tried to do it quad boxing but couldn't.

Patched 3.2 using WoW Wiki mirrors. First thing I did was get flying for DK on JT. At first I summoned a deathgate and had one go back to Ebon Hold, 970 gold, not including the training. Then I flew one to Thrallmar, 570 training and around 45 for the mount. Had another go to Dalaran where the training was 600g and 60g for the mount.

Summoning mount faster

Made a Horde toon on my Alliance Account.

Zeppelin from TB is in rt

Speed bonus #2 from Unholy



Did Blood frenzy on Epril and noticed the blood in the water was more substantial.

Had to find money for all 4 DK's to get flying and then spent time flying around Outland to get Exploration and FP's

All Flying, Stonebreaker Hold questing

Ashayo

Game corrupted ; managed to go back to 3.1.2 and repatch from there.
Decided to delete WTF folder and start over incase something in there was causing corruption. Of course this means completely resetting upall mods and UI for all toons. Gah! On the upside, MUCH faster logging in and out.

Can't fish in Wintergrasp while a battle is on (without queueing)
DK talent point refund ; didn't save

Alchemy - learnt epic transmutes. Quest Cardinal Ruby ; transmute 5 epic gems. So minimum of 5x20hrs to complete.

JC over 400 get quest in mail for Writ of Reward - 5 JC tokens
Was at 448; Did an Icy Prism and got 3 blue gems ; next day got 3 blue gems and a dragon's eye! Think I'll stock up on frozen orbs and do every day!
Prospected 100 Titanium ore ; got 5 epic gems
Bought designs for them

Trained new glyphs on Ashayo

Equipment manager upgraded ; better equip/save option and shows what you have to go in each slot.

Options menu shows ! for changed items

Dalaran orphan quest chain on Ashayo & Asheal - get [Curious Oracle Hatchling] ncp

Back to fishing daily - change of cooking awards. Got a strand crawler pet in the bag.

Quest in Dalaran to go to Thunderbluff, so took the portal to Org and hunted for new Zepp. Pretty much only useful if you don't have the FP

Raptor mount quest in Un'goro - needs 20 dailies to compelete.

Jekle - Ran heroics to get some guildies closer to [Glory to the Hero] achievement
Old Kingdom heroic - 4 man : [The Party's Over] , [Respect your elders], [Volunteer Work], [Volazj's Quick Demise]
Azjol-Nerub - [Watch him die] - First boss without taking down adds. Pally kiting. Mage last man standing - iceblocked and living bomb killed boss.
[hadronox denied] - cheat by mage vanishing and boss/mods despawn so we get in position
[Gotta go!] - Defeat Anub'arak in less than 4 mins

Shadowthrone dailies in AT and Hodir
Jekle and Hiide now Champion of the Horde

New dailies available even when not Crusader

Bought Argent Pony Bridle - Achievement [Pony Up]

Speced DK DW Unholy. Props to www.skeletonjack.com for great info and Molsan for putting me onto the site.
Different approach on Jube'thos ; spend spend spend. Bought a Titansteel Bonecrusher and an offhander, making me poor.

Hunters got respec later in week ; surprised many hunters

Bought flying for 600g on level 60 DK. 47g for a 150% flyer. woot!
Quested up to 61 in no time.

Wanted to do more heroics this week to get badges, but only had time for a few. Ran Nexus and some farming of 10 man Naxx

Ulduar 25 man DWP
- FL ok
- Razorscale ok, but seems to be more fire, and more focused
- XT - bugged ; too many adds.
- Ignis - changed so we can't use ledge method ; adds evade
Voa, OS and Naxx instead of Ulduar. Took Jekle to Naxx, nice healing trinket

Trial of the Champions - Heroic ; Healing & dps
Jousting ; then fight 3 variable bosses
2nd boss - had to look away or be stunned ; throws hammer ; have to dispel and throw it back at him
3rd boss was Black Knight. Have to kill him about 3 times.

Won [Embrace of madness] - chest peice for Asheal

Ulduar 25 man Guppers
- Did FL with some new 80's and got close to record (don't know exactly - lost history with WTF reset)
- Had to fight XT-002 in the middle, as adds now come from both sides
- Didn't have DPS for Razorscale ; Did OS instead

Heroic Nexus - Ashayo
10 man Naxx

Ulduar 10 man with Gobu's group. FL bugged - did 2 towers, but was buffed with 3


Glanthur



Bladed Edge



Emails


Email #1 from Kurly

Hey Folks....tis yer faithful buddy Kurly here.....DING! My Night Elf Drood Viranela (on the Norgannon Server) ding'd 80 this past Friday (7/30). This makes 2 level 80 toons...WOOT. I have been playing her in BG after BG after BG to get her honnor up so I can get her in some Resiliance gear. Getting used to melee is not easy after playing for such a long time on my priest.
So now what? Well.....er....um.....to be honest I am not so sure. I like playing various toons, and I have a lot of fun doing so, but there is also much more of a sense of accomplishment when you stick with one toon and get stuff done. Since Nelda hit 80 I have been bouncing around on all of my other toons trying to get a sense who wants to be leveled up next? Not that my toons talk to me or anything........but, I think you know what I mean.
The two that I have narrowed it down to are Kurliemoo, my DK in the DK Army, or my little Dwarven Hunter. I spec'd Kurliemoo enough into Unholy to get the pet, and have the rest going into Frost, which has her a little underpowerd at the moment, but she still does okay.
So, I hope to see you all out there on POH sooner or later...you are all the best!!
Great big hugs and kisses
Kurly!

Comment #2 from Orthien

Comment:
Your half right on how to heal as a paladin. While there is nothing wrong with your advice for 5mans it will start to cause problems if you head to raiding with it. While you do want to stack crit and Int its not so you can heal through Divine Plea(which should never be used in combat, unless you are at a phase change etc) Its due to the mana return and higher spell power for the talents Illumination and Holy Guidance.
The aim is to keep Sacrad Shield up at all times while using low cost Flash of Lights and the occasional Holy Light to top them to full if needed. With this you should be able to go several bosses sometimes with out drinking or even Divine Plea and not have to touch MP5.
This is ofcause until 3.2changes when we may need to look at it again.


Email #A from Makiling

hello ctrlaltwow crew,

first of all i would like to say that it is an honor to get invited to talk with you guys in your show. i definitely want to chat with you guys! but when i think of how we can make this happen, some major obstacles come into mind, the biggest of which is the fact that i am a doctor in the philippines. this means that to make this work, we have to struggle with our time difference and my work schedule. but i am open to any suggestions you might have with regards to my situation, and i look forward to hearing from you guys.

the biggest thing i would like to share with you guys this week is that our guild went into 10 man ulduar for the first time, and brought down flame leviathan and xt-deconstructor! now as you know, i have been going into normal and heroic ulduar pugs. but this is the first time i had gone into ulduar with my guild, and i have to say that i have not had this much fun in all my time in ulduar! i had been inviting them to ulduar for the longest time, but they felt under geared and quite hesitant. but after weeks of persuasion, the raid finally pushed through. in our first run with FL, i was the only one in the raid who had fought him before. i was leading them through the formation grounds and clearing the towers. i could feel their excitement in Vent, and that really pumped me up. you see, my first time in ulduar was in a pug with an experienced guild who was kind enough to let me raid with them. my vehicle passenger at the time was ever so patient in instructing me on how to drive through the encounter. i kept telling my guildies how fun it was, but none of them could relate at the time. our guld run in ulduar brought back all these memories. and my unrequited excitement finally found kindred spirits.

we didn't get FL down in our first night, but got him down to 400k. we felt tired from all the failing, but probably because it was almost morning. but in our 2nd attempt the next day, we had 1 more player who had ulduar experience and we were ready to rock! we 2 shotted FL, and it was awesome! we wanted to see how far we could go, and i thought XT would be the logical choice. after clearing his adds with just a few deaths, my guildies were ready for the big robot. after a brief talk about the boss fight in Vent, we got in and 2 shotted XT!i was really pumped up, but had to stop it there because i had work in the morning. i felt really good after that run because i felt that my guildies had more confidence than they had before getting in ulduar. so a big shoutout to my guild: Markang Bungo (in english it means Skull Mark)and everyone in the raid group.

finally, thanks a lot for the prize. and i hope to hear fro you guys soon =)

for the horde!

twitter.com/makiling_mage

Email #B from Eranth

Aprillian, Ashayo and Galnthar, well-met!

It’s Monday and I’ve been listening to Control-Alt-WoW, as well as giving Aprillian some gruff for doing her recording this last week in the Wailing Caverns. It told her that I’d send a note with my recent updates.

Over the weekend I received my Explorers Tabard for having finished my exploration of Northrend. Additionally, I finished the exploration of the Outlands. While those were nice to have done, I have also managed to acquire the title Ambassador Eranth by attaining Exalted status with all of the main races of the Horde. I think next I’ll continue working through exploring Kalimdor.

Hey, Ashayo…I got another Tick Bird, so I’m still looking for those elusive reigns myself.

That’s it for me for now. Good luck to you, and Happy Hunting!

“Be well…”

Eranth

Beastmaster Hunter of AIE

Earthen Ring


Pt 2

Hey, just a quick follow up from my last email. I was asked to run DPS in Obsidian Sanctum 10-man. We did it with 1 drake up, I think that’s what you call it, right Ashayo? That’s my first time to run in a 10-man, and I had a good time. Oddly enough, it wasn’t with AIE, it was No Prayer for the Dying. They seemed like nice enough fellows. :-)

Yay us, go team!

“Be well…”

Eranth

Beastmaster Hunter of AIE

Earthen Ring



Email #3 from Facefist


Hi Aprillian, Ashayo, and Glanthur,
I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who I don't think you would consider to be your average listener. For one, I pretty much have no alts and despise the leveling process so much that I seriously doubt I will ever have any more that get past level 20 or so. Also, I am what most would consider a "hardcore" raider. I have a level 80 warrior on the Khadgar US server decked out in full tier 8.5, and multiple hard-mode items, over 20,000 Honorable Kills, and around 6200 achievement points, many of them raiding-related. I originally developed an interest in your podcast before Ulduar content was released because, like so many other raiders during the Naxx era, raiding had become tedious and boring for me; listening to the differing ways which you three seem to play the game, and the various things you find entertaining about it that don't involve raiding of any kind, I found ways to keep my love of the game going during a time when so many other "hardcore" raiders were turning away from the game in disappointment. It is interesting for me to note how this small faction of raiders dislikes so thoroughly the things that Blizzard does to beef up the experience of those not interested in their aspect of the game at all. And while your podcast helped tide me over the months of boredom that came from farming the same content for months on end, as well as the hours of boredom spent driving around town all day for work, since Ulduar has been out and raiding has once again taken on a new and exciting flavor, I have been craving raiding content in my podcast experience. This is why I have been delighted recently at how Ashayo has been updating us each week on his raiding progression through Ulduar, and find myself silently rooting for him in my head as he begins listing each new boss encounter mastered in his journey through Ulduar, hoping he is about to check another off the list. I envy you the boss kills yet in front of you, as many of the Keepers (Mimiron in particular) and Yogg Saron himself are enough to bring at least a small cheer out of even the most stoic of raiders when you finally see them go down. Having raided Black Temple and Sunwell in The Buring Crusade, many of the boss kills so far in WOTLK have seemed but pale reflections of those epic encounters, with the exception of my first kill of Sartharion with all 3 drakes up, Mimiron, Yogg Saron, and the various heroic hard modes we have had success with.
Secondly, I have caught myself inwardly smiling when in each of the past two episodes there has been mention of warrior dps. I was a prot warrior through most of The Burning Crusade, but have been a dps warrior through pretty much all of WOTLK. Yes, Glanthur, warriors can be astounding dps, but this is mostly through Blizzard's inability to balance the class and the way it scales with gear rather than the skill the player behind them might have. However, I imagine that is a topic for another forum.
Anywho, just wanted you guys to know that you have at least one member of your audience who most would consider part of that "elite" rank of hardcore raiders with no interest in what the "casuals" might enjoy in their WoW experience. You'd be surprised at the number of tells I get from warriors on my server seeking advice from the main dps warrior of the top Alliance guild on the server who are all astounded at my willingness to look over their gear/spec/rotation and offer advice when they assumed I would be an elitist jerk. Keep up the good work, keep having fun in whatever ways you enjoy, and I'll keep hoping in vain that Aprillian will hit 80 and allow some geared folks to take her on at least a sight-seeing tour through some of the end game raiding instances that, at least for some us, are the most enjoyable thing WoW has to offer.
Facefirst
80 Warrior, Khadgar US
Guild - Epic Weapons Vendor
P.S. - I'll include a link below to my armory, as well as a link to my youtube page that includes videos of the Ulduar Hard Modes I have done recently. I guess this is partly because I am proud of the way I play the game and want to show off (9.5k dps on Hodir hard mode as a Fury Warrior, 6.1k on Thorim Hard Mode, and 5.5k as Arms on XT Hard Mode), and maybe because I am intersted in one or all of your reactions the music. lol.


Email #4 from Ben

Hello ctrl alt wow,


The ctrl alt wow and bind on equip podcasts seem to have a special connection: you have each other on the others podcasts, you are always referencing and recommending each other and I was wondering if there was a chance to have a big special podcast with both the people from ctrl alt wow and bind on equip podcasts. I understand different time zones and the complications of life such as work may make this extremely hard and you would have to either lose your clean tag or bribe the BoE crew, but all of this could probably be worked on.

Oh well, just an idea that I hope becomes reality, Hope you're having a good morning/evening, Bye.



Email #5 from Zell



Ctrl Alt Wow Poem
Crazy
Totally
Radical
Laxx

Altoholic
Love
Tremendous

Wacko
Omfgin'
Wonderful

You are the shitz.
Never stop.
Altoholism is not the disease it is the cure.
Your an inspiration to are entire organization.

Just a small poem for my favorite podcast keeping my cottage time without wow eventfull! On a game note I play a 80 Orc Warlock and play many alts, I wanna ask Glanthur I'm leveling a resto shaman and wanna know what main or two stats should I focus on for gear in end game(I love his idea?) Anyway love the show! Zeil or Zeilory on twitter. Later!



Email #C from Vala


Hello ctrlaltwow
Valathilia here
Well I apologize for not writing in a while but alot has happen in the real world. But patch 3.2 finally came out and I am loving the totem bars and my new Druid skins. Vala is now holy again so no more disc :) I am enjoying the new daily heroic as well. So I came to the conclusion that as much as I love Vala I enjoy playing alliance so much more :) well great podcast and keep it up :)
For the alliance
Valathilia

Email #6 Bidkar

Greetings Aprillian, Ashayo and Glanthur,

Bidkar, level 80 undead mage, Borean Tundra server here. I've had a somewhat eventful week for myself.

I was doing dailies Sunday morning when a level 80 dwarf hunter decided that I was easy pickings, which I will freely admit that for hunters I am easy pickings. I can kill a death knight, but hunters just seem beyond my mage skills. He ganked me, I came back and resurrected and went on. The hunter came back, ganked me again before I could get myself situated. This of course went on for awhile and I finally did the spirit healer resurrection and left.

Unfortunately, this was the capper for a week of harassment from the ally. All week I was ganked doing dailies and I had enough of that fol de rol to last me a lifetime. I emptied my mailbox and switched servers. I know people will say "What do you expect rolling a toon on a pvp server?", but to be honest I am not a gamer at all and I did not know a pve server from a pvp server and I was level 30 something before I finally figured that one out. I didn't want to leave the server then because it was my home server.

I overreacted by switching so quickly, but I think the reason goes back to when I first went to Outlands, I could never play because I got ganked continuously. I literally would go out of Thrallmar or the post in Zangarmarsh and there would be level 75 to level 80 ally killing everyone. I stopped playing altogether for awhile, but the siren call of WOW beckoned me. That was when I started playing a bunch of alts so it turned out to be a good thing in the end. I found out later that the reason for the ganking fest was Spring Break and the ally were bored apparently.

Though I am not overly happy to be on Borean Tundra right now, I am making the best of it and making tons of gold. Gold falls from the sky on these pve servers. Once I get loaded up with gold, I am going back to Auchindoun. Auchindoun is home and right now I feel like I'm in an alternate universe where everyone has a goatee. Like Fry said in Futurama, "It's just feels like a Universe B".

I also leveled my paladin up from 38 to almost 45. I would have leveled more, but I stopped many times to help out other people with their quests. I never mind helping the new people with their quests. Other people helped me out when I was new and didn't know what I was doing, so I think I should help out others by doing the same. One level 80 even ran my low level toon all the way out to the Crossroads on foot when I first started! It feels great to help out other people and I recommend it for everyone.

Sorry for the wall of text, feel free to cut out anything you want!

As alway, your podcast is the best and I look forward to it every week.

For the Horde and for Glanthur!

Bidkar and his many alts








Shout Outs & Thank You

MOmoments

Hello all,
Happy August and sorry I have not been able to write to you all the last couple of weeks.

As patch 3.2 is in full effect for all, for me and all the Mo alts, I have to say all those new instances will mean nothing unfortunately for a few reasons.
One and most importantly, none of my characters are well geared, heck I am not even geared for some heroics. Also lately time is, well it usually is the issue as I play on and off or sometimes I do not log in especially during the summer (as we do try to enjoy the outside world as often as we can).
However, I am also partially sad that I am not able to see some of the game content. I would be nice and I can hope one day when we are level 100 I can walk into naxx or other places I have not been.

Everyone is stating their opinion of the patch and a week after the patch we are all still trying to fix out addons. What is worse you think...being a altaholic or addonholic??
I am both :(
I do not have that many addons anymore but I am really hooked on some, so much so that I do not play the game for long if the addon is still broken. Yes yes I know some people think that is just ridiculous but well enjoy the game in our own way.

I wanted to mention the zeppelin they added which takes you from Orgrimmar to Thunder Bluff, I wanted to check it out for myself. So I logged in my 55 druid (changed his color first, I will get into that later) and I did not know where to go in Thunder Bluff so I flew to Orgrimmar and was still lost. After asking this fine guard, he knew where everything was!!! I went to the west zep post outside of Orgrimmar and waited where the onboarding would take place onto the zeppelin...and I waited, waited some more, perhaps 5 minutes later (which felt like 30 minutes!!!) the zeppelin finally came. You cant miss the arrival of the zeppelin because the Goblins yell it out, very loudly.
I took my spot on the zeppelin, and we were off. It was very nice flying over the little raptors and boars and other wild life; we flew into the Barrens zone. At this point I was waiting for the UI to change to the screen with the map and the dotted line from Orgrimmar to Thunder Bluff....but it never came. I was in shock! We were actually on a real, well as real it can get in game, ride from one city to another city!!!
My druid really did not know what to feel. He was anxious, impatient and speechless!!! Part of me was asking why did I take this stupid zep as it is taking forever! Yet another part was enjoying flying over the lowbie zone where all the leveling and growing up happens; oh and all the stupid Barrens Chuck Norris talk happens too!

So the end result is = take the ride! Take the 5-10 minutes to enjoy this fine game we play and yes smell the roses, as they say.

As for druids and the new colors, they are very cool. My druid was a brown cat, which at first I was not happy with so I changed to white, than I was not happy with that but they both look so cool. When I am on my druid I think I may change my color every level or every other level. I know that is crazy but you cannot tell me they do not look cool!!! :)

I am sure we will hear your opinions on the episodes but just in case we do not, Aprillian, Glanthur, Ashayo, and listeners, what do you think of the changes; what do you like and dislike?

Before I say goodbye, one thing I have been working as much as I can is doing the daily cooking quest on Motauren, and I have 1 away from getting my hat! I am excited about that.
Also on my engineer, hunter Mochi, I learned the new talents and they sound delightful!!!!

As always thank you very much for your great work and have a great time in game and out of game :)

--
Mo


Shout Out #2 from Matt


The show can be found at http://left4mad.podbean.com/ I need to change the sites address cause the show is actually called 'Walk Alone Gaming' But that's the link all the same.

Shout out #3 for Xandar


Due to the advent of 3.2 there has been a little change in the T.E.N. Guild on Twisting Nether. For a time being the guild will be on hold. (Time to gain the maximum rested XP) I will keep you all informed as to the plans of T.E.N. Guild bi-weekly. If you have questions about if we are doing a guild run or not, feel free to email me. I feel that all of us are excited to venture forth and see the new content from 3.2.

Xandarr (Trollbane US) is busily FINALLY getting some level 200 DPS gear inside the Trial of the Champion 5 man instance. Hopefully he will be hitting the Heroic side soon enough.

Nkaala (Trollbane US) has been feverishly working to level to 80 as well to get into the Trial of the Champion as well. However at level 75 she still has some work to do.

--
Xandarr
http://twitter.com/Xandarr2112
http://theexperiencednoob.blogspot.com

Shout out #4 from Kurly

Hey folks...I have started my own little blog.....if you all want to keep up with me....
Love you all to bits!!
Kurly

No comments:

Post a Comment