Monday, July 28, 2008

Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 73 - No Maintaince Tuesday is Okay

Aprillian and Ashayo discuss another week of playing World of Warcraft, Blizzard's great MMORPG.

Episode 73 - No Maintaince Tuesday is Okay

What We've Been Doing:

Aprillian


Aprillian Unlearned Primal Mooncloth, for 50g and learned Shadoweave for 20g and picked up 5 shadowweave recipes

Made macro/buttons to make twobox work for different character combinations

Spent Thursday morning getting pets over to the Alliance. They are selling like hotcakes. I wonder if it has anything to do with the latest info on pets in the Expansion.

Authenticator and 3 accounts are fun.

Aprillian made a Spellfire bag (28 slot enchanter) for Auntrillia and bought a 20 slot Enchanter's Satchel, from the vendor in Thrallmar for like 12g. She equipped the spellfire bag, and put the satchel in her bank, buying a new slot for 25g. So now Auntrillia can de to her heart's content

Saturday morning Triple boxed in Outland, completing some quests that Apriliian had and the other 2 had done, and then they did the pooh quest together and going into that mine

Aprillian dinged 63 and got to wear another piece of the Netherweave set, gloves. But then I noticed her shoulders were from 47 and so I got a new pair on ah. Saw her old gloves had 8+ stamina, so I ran Auntrillia around trying to find the enchant, until I realized it was from a knothide armor kit and Rilfire could make them.

Levelling Relaq, level 19 Warrior, in mining and bs. Easiest levelling ever I actually got from like 40 something to 178 without hitting a node, just smelting. And AI makes it a breeze because it tells me where mats are on each alt, on the account I'm on but if I link to other alts, it tells me their mats and also what's in the vault. I had been saving so much mats, that I felt rich. I only had to go to the ah for some silver and gold ore, but not much of that.
I was focused on the outlanders but I'm ambivalent.





Ashayo

Ashayo's Heroic night - Ramparts and Botanica

RFK - Server failure FTL. Lost blue necklace from rare bat spawn.

Levelling Shaman. But just duel-boxing with Jekle for heals.

Levelling Mage. Hit 40 last night. Tearing through SM
Mage quests - needed SM and Uldaman
Completed all of Dustwallow Marsh / Mudsprocket (including mage quest to kill level 40 elite demon - soloed :)
Intending to do every quest in STV!


Email:
1st email:

Hey guys I love the show. I just happened on it and am in the process of getting caught up on some of the podcasts. My question is do you have one or two episodes that explain how to multibox? I have two accounts and always wanted to give it a try but wasn’t quite sure where to start. What type of system req’s do you recommend? How do you control both characters using only one monitor and one keyboard/mouse? Any recommended mods and or macro? What types of classes work well together? How do you select quests on both characters?

Sorry for the assault of questions, but it sounds like you guys are the multibox masters and I want to glean anything I can. Thanks again.

-Keelhaul


2nd Email:


Hey Aprillian and Ashayo its Triaa again sorry I missed last week, got busy with raiding and such. So this week I decided to bring you two addons. The first is a modification to your cast bar, It is called quartz. The advantage to using quartz is that it takes into account latency for when you are chain-casting spells allowing for maximum DPS for casters. Here is a link to download this addon: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7158/. The second addon I decided to feature this week is the chat addon which Aprillian comments on two episodes ago. It is called Prat and allows you to customize your chat windows even more. It removes the scroll arrows on your chat panel and allows you to scroll through chat by simply mousing over the box and using your mouse scroll wheel. Here is the link: http://wowui.worldofwar.net/?p=mod&m=4413. hope ya guys enjoy these addons, I'll be sure to have another one next week.


Comment:


Comments from Ctrl Alt WoW:

Sender Info:
Name: Thera AKA Dave
Email: main@kkotd.com
Website:
==============================

=======

re: Re: Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 72 - It's a Learning Experience

Welcome from Sacred Podcast... Awesome episode great idea for running undead into Stormwind, now we must return the favor and run out lvl Night Elf alts to Ogri ^_^

Episode: http://ctrlaltwow.podcastspot.com/episodes/71B82A


Email- Contest!

Hey guys!

Blade here...

I stumbled across your podcast after doing a "warcraft" search in the iTunes store... and find CAW to be a refreshing change. You actually sound like you enjoy the game, but don't come across as exceptionally techno-obsessed (the extra sound effects some podcasts have can get rather annoying and distracting)
... nor do you come across as 'leet experts in all things WoW'... you sound like your enjoyment of the game stems not from T4/5 or Arena Season 4 and end-game content, but rather from the experience of 'getting there'- and growing as individuals along the way.
In truth, I came to be searching the iTunes store after being led there by a website dedicated to tanking, as one of my alts (my warrior) has recently respecc'd protection
... and it was one of the few sites I could find that helped tanks not specifically obsessed with 'bleeding-edge' content and gear... for THAT reason, I put credence into what they had to say...
... which leads me to my alts, your contest and my 'unique and crazy' situation.
Like most players in WoW, I have alts.
I consider not one, but two characters my 'mains' (allow me to explain).
Bladetusk, 70 Orc Rogue, could be considered my 'main main' as 'Blade' is the moniker that I am known by within my guild; my 'main alt' would then be the aforementioned respecc'd 70 protection warrior, Bladeskull.
Rounding the list, is my 70 Mage (Greymalkyn), 65 Hunter (Wolftusk) and numerous baby alts including a baby shaman and baby druid who are acting as my bank and AH alts respectively... and there is one other who I will mention in a moment.
Now... I don't have many alts (not even as many as Ashayo, admittedly) but I *have* been playing them for a while... and because I do not at present dual-box, I leveled each of them one by one to the levels they sit at now.
For reference, ZG, AQ20, AQ40 and Naxxramas were but a twinkle in the developers' collective eyes when I started playing and even MC, BWL and Onyxia were 'fresh' enough content... I recently (masochistically?) did a '/played' on Bladetusk... and the number (approximately 37 or 38 days if memory serves correctly) doesn't seem like a lot... but if you figure one or two hours per night... 365 'nights' per year and 24 hours in a given day, then ol' Blade's been around quite a long time...

During all of this time, I have had plenty of opportunity to test and play just about every conceivable race/class/talent combination I can think of... and plenty of opportunity to realize what I prefer as a player (For the Horde!)... which leads me finally to my last alt and my own personal craziness.

Both my rogue and my hunter are my gatherers, and between them they gather every conceivable farmable mat... cloth, ores, fish, herbs, skins and motes from the clouds in Outland.
I particularly enjoy the hunter as it is an 'easy' class to play... often times, while I am farming (he's parked in either zangarmarsh or terokkar forest at any given time and I farm the bog lords and trees for herbs... breaking up the monotony of the grind to grab skinnable beasts or spiders for their netherweb silk.
Don't get me wrong... to play a hunter 'well' requires a certain amount of skill (the same can be said for any class) but I find I can turn off my brain when I play him... a nice relaxing time free from threat of dying... with his tanking pet, I only get concerned and use a heal pot when he's got more than 2 or 3 mobs on him at the same time... otherwise, it's a relatively effortless grind on my part.
I COULD make a great deal of effort (and some day still may) and learn the class exceptionally well and become an 'exceptional' hunter... but at this point in time, I prefer to save my focus for the rogue and the warrior...
And my other hunter.
Tahrzaan.
I decided I wanted to test my skill as a player and stretch my knowledge of the hunter class 'tricks' at my disposal... but not in the traditional way.
So I rolled a Blood Elf Hunter... called him 'Tahrzaan' and stripped him naked.
No clothes.
Not even a weapon more powerful than the weenie starting dagger (the 0.9 dps one).
Interesting? Crazy?
Your first thought might be 'So what? With a pet tanking and the hunter at range, there's little danger of dying ANYway... so what's the big deal?'
Wait for it...
His ranged weapon is a throwing knife.
Yeah. A hunter with no ranged skills to rely upon... (dagger crit for 25 damage ftw!)
and when he leveled to 20, I got a huge boost in his melee dps with the addition of his skinning knife as an off-hand...
And that's how he's stayed up to the present day and level 31 (and counting).
Right now, he's been doing the tauren kindergarden quests to gain enough rep for his kodo mount (as Horde can't ride elephants... kodo's are the closest thing), tamed him a cat from the Blood Elf newbie area (named Numa) and ran him all the way to Darkshore and managed to tame one of the spectral cats from the cat figurine idols (the ones near the nagas). That one's named 'Sabor'.
(All names derived from the books by Edgar Rice Burroughs).
I log into this toon when I tire of the hum-drum of leveling/grinding or doing daily quests or farming on my litany of alts... and I must say that it is an eye-opening experience.
Mana is all-important... traps become almost a necessity, and aoe attacks are far more dangerous now than they would be normally... heck... more than one attacking mob can NOW mean death if I'm not careful.

I have been called a 'noob', been told to 'put on clothes', and 'lrn2play' more times than I can count... but some people are nicer about their curiosity... they simply wonder 'why'.
So I tell them.
Anyone can play a hunter. It takes skill to play a hunter well. *I* plan to play this hunter well WITH his handicap - both to challenge myself and to prove that it can be done.

So in closing - as this has become much longer than I anticipated - it'd be great if I were selected in your 'wierd and crazy' alt contest... but even if it is not, it would be great to be mentioned in your email segment so that your listeners might be encouraged to think a little more 'outside the box'.
Examples:
- Gutrot the lv70 naked troll
- a pacifist priest that refuses to kill for xp
- survival hunters (like mine, but with armor and decent weapons)
- a warlock with no pet
- adventuring in the beginning (pre-BC) zones but staying on only ONE continent

Cheers for an awesome podcast guys!

Blade

thebladededge@gmail.com
www.nakedmeleehunter.blogspot.com

-------------------

We announced the winner of the Authenticator, but you will have to listen to find out who.

No comments:

Post a Comment