Monday, May 10, 2010

Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 167 - I Choose Who Rides My Rocket

With Molly of Ladies of Leet - http://ladiesofleet.com

Aprillian, Ashayo, Virshna and Jeppy discuss another week of playing World of Warcraft, Blizzard's great MMORPG. Contest Ongoing send an email to ctrlaltwow@gmail.com telling us how you play WoW, either as an altaholic or dealing with it in your family life to being placed in a drawing for a month free of WoW or a $10 iTunes Gift Card or an Authenticator, they are back in the store.



What We've Been Doing:

Aprillian
Ran Manatombs with Epril & Tiiaa, Tiiaa dinged 68. Aprillian send her the Tome of Cold Weather flying and started Tiiaa's Taxi Service. Took a level 40 Shaman around Northrend.

Missed a few days of DH on Aprillian.

Tues was no maintenance, which was nice. Ran the Weekly Raid with Gufoni & Arezzo from Postcards of Azeroth.

Wed put some work in my RAF. Bought a trinket for RAF. Used Sebastian, level 62 hunter to run 11 & 13 through Insignia quest in Skull Rock & RFC

Thu/Fri did Wailing Caverns and started Shadowfang Keep. Finished with 18 & 20

Saturday did SFK and finished 20 & 22, used Tiiaa to transport them to Orgrimmar
Aprillian & Vrishna
Tiiaa & Vrishna started the Nessingwary quests in Nagrand. Tiiaa couldn't do the other quest until she went back and did the Assassin.

Wed Aprillian Quadboxed while Vrishna healed. We did two Randoms, Drak'thor Keep & part of the Nexxus.

Did Quests in Nagrand. Rocket comes in handy.
Vrishna
Alas, wow burnout. Curse you Netflix!

Ashayo
No Ashayo This Week!
Jeppy
Operation Winterhoof

29 Days

Just over 191 hours played

so an average of 6 1/2 hours a day

1248 earned levels

248 Gifted levels

25 level 60s + 5 between 34 - 42


Misc stuff

8276 cloth
4912 skin
316 green items
7 blue
1 purple (brightwood staff)
614 murloc eyes

Emails

Email #1 from Grothgar

Hi CtrlAltWoW Gang,

Just wanted to get an update to ya. At last report I had 8 80's, working on my ninth. I am happy to report that my Warlock turned 80 last week, Woot. I know Altaholic maximum. Oh well, what else would I be doing, LOL. I also had a very productive week. I got the 264 pants for my druid, the 270 pants on my mage, the 251 pants on my Warlock, as well as the 264 cloak, and finally the 264 cloak on my warrior. Just an average week :)

Secondly, I am also the proud owner of a magnificent Celestial Steed. Its awesome, especially on my Pali at 310 speed.

Last, but certainly not least, Congradulations on the new 80 in the group. It was a real treat following your progress throughout.

I wish you all the best. You guys are what makes playing this game a real joy. Real people who play for all the right reasons, and genuinly try to make a difference. I may actually roll a new tune to join you guys....:)



Until next time

Grothgar "the Elder"

Email #2 from Bearbehindu

Subj: Brit altaholic

> Hi team of Ctrl Alt Wow: Aprillian, Ashayo, Virshna and fellow Brit Jeppy
> from Bearbehindu, a balance Druid swinging his sword for the Horde on Lightbringer realm EU.
>
> Just wanted to drop a email to say how much I enjoy your podcast. I have been listening to you guys chat about the subject I love for the last couple of months now and I don't care what others say, the shows are not long enough. I mainly listen to the show whilst travelling on the train to and from work in London and the cheery chat gets me set for the day and calms me down for the evening after work. However, the smiling and laughing on a quiet carriage has gotten me some strange looks on the train. Most of the booted and suited English people on the train think smiling in the morning is a definite sign of madness and laughing in the afternoon in a public place is against the law.
> But I digress.
> I am now the ripe old age of 49 and started playing WOW a few years ago just as BC came out. I quickly found that I needed to learn a new language before I could really understand what was going on LOL ROFLMAO, and to start with found it difficult to communicate with these strange MMO ppl, who think you should understand what is going on or you're a noob. I also found my somewhat slow reaction times and mashing of keys, whilst trying to drink a glass Pinot Grigio were not the required specs for raiding or serious PVP (why is it some people don't like it if you try to fish in battle grounds). However, what I did find out was that I was afflicted with being an Altaholic and in love with levelling. I now have 5 level 80s (A Druid, a Shaman, a Rogue, a Priest and a Mage) and 2 level 70s ( a hunter and a Pali). Not as many as you guys have but I take pride that the first two toons were levelled to 70 on a PVP server, which does somewhat slow down the act of questing. Plus the fact no one told me there were things called addons that could help me quest until I got to 70. You may boo as they are all Horde except one Alliance Mage who is sitting unloved and un-played in the Dalaran square, but I prefer the horde quest lines and the feel of the cities. Hopefully over the next few months I will be able to get the 2 70s to 80 before Cataclysm comes out, so I am free to try out the new Goblin race by levelling a couple of warlocks. Yes, thats right, not only am I afflicted with being a Altaholic, but since listening to your show I have now started playing around with dual boxing. At the moment I am using a Imac and MacBook Pro which I have convinced to share the same keyboard, oh the joy of one key two hits and the mobs are soon dead. And for this I must thank you, and Aprillian I agree the rocket mount is great.
>
> I have also become a great fan of the looking for group system and try to do as many as posible. However, sometimes i feel like a stressed parent on a museum trip, with 4 unrully children running uncontrolably into the exhibits trying to make for the nearest exit. It seems the only crowd control required these days is for the group: "ITS THE TANKS JOB TO PULL!" I shout as the dk dps goes running off. /cry /moan. Oh the stories I could tell, think I could write a book "How to anoy pugs and influence them".
> The one thing that does sadden me though (wipes tear from corner of eye and tries not to look like an unloved Mage abandoned in dalaran) is that I live in a wow free zone, no matter what I try to do I cannot convince any friends or relatives to play. I even tried bribing my teenage nephew with a free account, but my brother insists that playing 10 hours plus a week will affect his college work, go figure. Also my efforts to find a real social guild to join, who share my love of levelling and alts has proved fruitless. I have tried several guilds on EU servers, but the players only seem to be obsessed with getting to 80 as quick possible, gearing up and then arguing who is going to be in what team for raiding. If you know of any such altaholic guilds, especially Jeppy, if you know of any on a EU server, I would be grateful to hear about them. Although, if I can find out how to play on a US server, I would be happy to transfer some toons to the US server. (spoz it means creating a new account. How sad another rocket mount.)
>
> Well it has been nice chatting to you and hope you are not too bored with my ramblings. Here's to you continuing with the great work and making me laugh.
> For the Horde!
> Kind regards from yours truely
> Bearbehindu (the Druid)
> Bearfacesham (the Shammy)
> Bearbones (the undead rogue)
> FatherTedd ( the shadow priest)
> and
> Cåtweazle (the lonely Mage)
>
> Sorry for any typos, small iPhone vs fat fingers.
>
Sent from my iPhone


Email #3 from Jede

Subject: What an amazing podcast!

Hello CTRL-ALT-WOW,



This is Jede (pronounced JED-E) on the Steamwheedle Cartel server. I am an 80 human warrior; however I have many many many alts. This is the first time I have contacted the podcast, although I have been a listener for a few months. I must confess that when I first started listening I thought I wouldn't end up being a long time listener like I have been with other WOW podcasts such as World of Warcast and The Instance which I have been listening to since 2006.



I have to say that attitude all changed though - there is something so incredible about your podcast, the way you guys interact, the constant laughter and merriment and the fact that if one of you guys don't know something specific about the game, you have no problem with that - in other words you don't have the elitist or trade-chat attitude that is so prevalent in the game. Of course this wouldn’t apply to Ashayo who seems to know pretty much everything!



I am now hooked on your podcast in a way that I can only describe as addicted. Even if you show is well over 2 hours like it has been the past couple of weeks I am totally bummed when it ends and can't wait until next week for more content.



I have to admit that I think I have a bit of a man-crush on Vrishna. Now let me explain as I am male, heterosexual, married with children and like it that way. But there is something about Vrishna that draws me to him. I think part of the reason might be that unlike the other 3 hosts, he isn't a beautiful woman or has a deep Australian accent that girl’s go crazy for. It seems the hosts who seem to get all the attention from callers and emailers are everyone but Vrishna. I like how he always seems to be in the dog house with Aprillian and I like the way he laughs a bit too hard at his own jokes (which are funny btw). Also it was cool how he worried so much about whether he should need an item in a dungeon! By listening to Vrishna also on CTRL-ALT-TREK (did I mention I also listen to that podcast and I don't even play that game?), anyway by listening to him over the months he reminds me of myself a lot - just seems like a great laid back kind of guy, who is sometimes nice to a fault. Anyway I hope you don't take offence to this Vrishna.



To sum up I wanted to say how amazing your podcast is and I hope you guys continue for years to come. I did want to ask one thing: on last weeks show Aprillian mentioned that she was going to start up a recruit a friend again soon. Now I have never multi-boxed or recruited anyone (although like I mentioned I do have multiple alts and have had more than 1 account active at a time but I started all of them before this recruit a friend began by Blizzard). Anyway Aprillian if you are looking for someone to recruit so you can get the bonuses without having to start another account I would love to do that as I have been thinking of starting some fresh toons on servers that I have never been on and the 300% XP would be cool.



Thank you for listening to this and keep up the great work. One last thing. You have mentioned about people contributing codes to the podcast or sponsoring. I looked at your site and can't figure out how to do this; any info would be great as I would like to give something back considering all the enjoyment you have given me.



Have a great week in Azeroth!

Jede


Email #A from Makiling

hello ctrl alt wow crew, makiling here

i just listened to your latest episode, and i wanted to congratulate vrishna on his pugging experiences. his encounters witht hedifferent kinds of players in game remind me so much of my early days in wow. i to asked the same questions that he had, but i didnt have a wonderful group of friends to play with, so i had to discover the answers for myself. but as i am learning in game, it is very much like life: a continuing learning process.

my week in wow involved the children's week. i was only able to get the title on my mage, and the process of getting it was filled with tribulations. the pvp part of the meta that was the most difficult was the eye of the storm one. the alliance were incredibly organized in our battlegroup. this was compounded with the queue times reaching up to 2h. i spent the time waiting to get into bgs doing quests in outland where i got the zangarmarsh and terrokar forest quest achievements. it took me 6 days before i got into a group where a rogue stole the flag from the alliance and dropped it near our base. i picked it up, then turned it in to get the achievement and the title, but i was then yelled at for stealing his flag! he did not announce anywhere in chat that he dropped the flag for his friend, so my feelings of great relief for getting the achievement were mixed with confusion on the accusations against me. all in all, i am glad that this holiday was over.

i wasnt planning on getting all the achievements for my other toons, but i wanted to get the pets. but when i logged into the game, i didnt find the exclamation marks on the orphan matrons. the holiday was over. i was kinda bummed out, so i decided to level my alliance toons. my night elf druid tanked sunken temple the other day. i think i last did that instance 2 years ago. i had forgotten where the stairs lead and how the bosses and mobs worked. it pays to get grouped with a healer who knows what to do. we almost wiped in the group that mind controls players, but we finished the instance with no wipes.

so now i am waiting for the fire festival to finally get my violet proto drake. the in game maps of the revamped zones look really exciting, and i hope we will all be around when we experience them in cataclysm.

thats it from me for now, for the horde!

twitter.com/makiling_mage

Email # B from Gongrim

Childrens week

Hi all at ctrlaltwow

This is Gongrim here and yes I am that mad I listened to your whole back catologue :)

Being self employed and working on my own atm I listened to 5 or 6 episodes a day over the coarse of several weeks.

Now to the subject of my e-mail. As a guild several of our members do the holiday achievements. So we all grouped up and set off on our pvp adventures. It was the beginning of the holidays so we thought we may have a good chance to get them done as most people would be trying to do the same.

We first went to arathi basin first then WSG and pretty much everyone just took it in turns capping a flag.

We then tried EotS and the first time we run here was a wipe fest the horde just rolled over us none pvper's. So we queued up again and this time we ran in to a lot of horde who where doing the quests so we basically took turns again till we'd all got this part of the achievement.

Lastly we attempted Alterac Valley and boy was this a hard one. After our first failed attempt we sat and talked it through on our vent server. We made the plan to head for the second horde tower as less people seemed to go straight there.

After 5 or 6 attempts most of our group had got the achievement, apart from me and a Dk. We called it night there as it was getting late.

So the day after the dk managed to capture a flag. Which left only me, I made sevral more attempts that night to no avail. It was getting very frustrating getting so close only to get stunned by a sneaky rogue or paladin or death gripped away by a dk.

I spent pretty much the rest of the week trying without much luck. Before finally managing it the day it was due to finish.

I must say the one good thing to come out of this week has been the amount of honor I have gained I have been able to regem both specs on gongrim my warrior and make some extra gold selling other gems.

Enough rambling from me this week :) keep up the good work

Gongrim dragonblight EU

PS thanks for the lucky roll last week I think I will choose the month of wow as my prize and save it for my planned RaF
Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media

Email # 4 from Melvyl

Subject: Some Brief as I can make them Comments

Hey Aprillian and the Guys,

A bunch of topics I wanted to comment on, so I am going to try and
keep this short as I can:

This is my philosophy on Heroic Loot: Wrath has been out for 18
months. At this point, most of the stuff that drops no one wants -
they are just hoping someone in the group is an enchanter. If you need
it, Need it. If you think you may use it, Need it. If 2 people need
something, you can either work it out or keep it. Chances are, most of
the group won't care. The exceptions: Loot from the ICC 5-mans is
still very popular so just don't be a jerk. If I get something cool on
the first drop, I sometimes pass on everything else.

Congratulations to Vrishna on healing your first Heroic as a Paladin.
As I mentioned last time, before 3.3 I hardly ever got the chance to
run anything, and was usually too nervous to run a Heroic. Last week,
I queued for a random and got Utgarde Keep. It went really well, and
when we got done, everyone decided to stay together and queue up
again. This time we got Halls of Reflection - which I had never
completed on Normal even. It was nerve-wracking and tense and took all
my concentration but we got through it with only a single death and
never close to wiping. That was probably my favorite WoW moment thus
far. And ironically I earned the achievement "500 Dungeon & Raid
Emblems" on Melvyl while I was there.

I said last time I was going to write about my experiences on leveling
a Druid. After failing at solo-balance and solo-feral, I respecced her
Resto and leveled from 26 on all the way up to 80 - lots and lots of
Dungeon Finder. I am really enjoying the totally different style of
healing, and I have balance as an offspec which is a lot of fun as
well.

And finally: After a year, I decided it was time to get serious about
getting Lyvlem to 80 over on Jubei'thos. So I loaded up my shadow
priest with heirlooms and Sceadua is now hanging out on Jubei' while
he finishes up the trek to 80 and she can help out with any any of his
enchant needs. Then she is moving on to Earthen Ring.

Keep up the great work.

Melvyl of Aerie Peak

Email # C from Nevik

Guten Tag Aprillian, Ashayo, Jeppy! ... and *cough*Vrishna*cough*

Oh alright, I'm only teasing, Vrishna. You were never truly "dead to me," but perhaps we can work on that chocobo hatred of yours. It's possible that after feeding some gyshal greens to one of those magnificent creatures you would understand my fondness of them, but I digress.

Vrishna I wouldn't worry too much about gear in random heroics, but it's great to hear of your tales of selflessness. I've happily traded an item to another in greater need or where it would be a larger upgrade for them than me. I think you did the right thing in terms of karma by giving the "main-spec tank" dps'ng warrior the loot you had rightfully won.

If you're really looking to gear up, chain-run /normal/ Trial of the Champion or the ICC 5-mans. That's the absolute quickest way and will get your healadin into a position to where she can heal any heroic. Just make sure that someone brings an enchanter to DE all of the loot no one needs ^^;

Anyhoo, I'm still away from the game but the urge to come back grows stronger every week. Thoughts of running around with a goblin hunter, dwarf shaman, troll druid and tauren paladin dance in my head.

Too bad I have to wait for Cataclysm to come around, but I'm sure I'll be back before then. I still need to kill the Lich King with my rogue and death knight as well as become battle-hardened in pvp with my priest once more.

Oh, before I close out this email I will risk brevity to address Juuno's solicitation for goblin and worgen tank/healer team ideas.

For the goblin team the only tanking class available at level 1 is warrior. As for the healer, I'd definitely suggest going with shaman as the goblin shaman totems are pure win.

For the worgen team I think you should go with two druids. If you both roll druid, you can switch off tank/healing duties as necessary.

Until next time, I'll be lurking in the shadows as usual

Nevik


Email #D from Bidkar

Greetings Vrishna, El Jeppy, Ashayo and Aprillian,

This week Bidcar and Alehta, my ally raf hit 60. I think the Alliance experience has been a good one and I am continuing it with a new ally raf. I started a night elf duo, Matou a druid and Pretre, a priest. I used Google translation for the names, in theory Matou is french for Tomcat and Pretre is french for priest. Picked night elves because I am interested in the lore associated with them after reading "War of the Ancients". Turns out night elves can be more than hunters! By the way, all I have seen so far in the starting areas are night elf hunters. In this case, the cliche is true so far.

It seemed to me that some of the Alliance areas for questing seemed very lacking in depth. Now that I pondered it for a bit, I think it's because on the Horde side I know where to pick up all the side quests. The only ally city I really went regularly was Stormwind so I think I missed quite a few quests. The Hinterlands and South Shore stand out in my mind as extremely short in quests. I am still extremely glad I started Alliance toons and think it was time well spent. The Alliance need a cool place like Orgrimmar to hang out though.

My horde warlock ran out and did her jewelcrafting and cooking dailies of course. I took Bidkar out on Saturday to work on his explorer achievement for a change of pace. Now I know where the legendary Karazahn. Bidkar has finished the Eastern Kingdoms and only has Kalimdor to finish.

I am looking forward to Jeppy's report with this week's conclusion of recruit a friend. Do you keep all the accounts once you are finished or do you transfer certain toons to your original accounts? I am curious what all of you do once raf is done. I know you mention transferring toons over, but it seems that would get expensive after a bit. Do you just pick out your favorites to transfer over?

I ordered my ipad, which is not really Wow related, but CtrlAltGeek isn't on every week so I'll just report that here. I think it will turn out to be quite useful and not just a "toy" as so many people report. My thanks to Aprillian and John from Warcraft Outsiders for their information which helped me with my decision.

Ooops, almost forgot, I also learned not to group with toons name "Bungholeoh". He begged and begged me to group with him in Stromgarde. I didn't really want to because I am not talented enough to do that when I am dual boxing plus his name seemed to indicate a certain lack of intelligence. I was right.

For the Horde and For the Alliance,

Bidkar and a couple of his alts

P.S. Do you ever hear from Blade anymore?

Email #5 Hibblo

Hey Aprillian, Ashayo, Virshna and Jeppy. Hibblo from the DeathWing Server EU here longer, time listener first time emailling in, love the podcast, well here's my question. I'm an altaholic with two 80's but I have a few low level character and I want to level another to 80 but I can't decide which to go with, so I thought i'd ask you's. here's a list of my characters levels

70 Warrior

29 Mage

12 Hunter

20 Druid

60 Rogue

5 Priest

8 Shaman

60 Warlock

20 Paladin

I want you's to choose what character for me to get to 80 and i'll do it no matter how low or high the character, if yu don't want to choose just get Ashayo to do a random roll

Well if yu do thanks for reading out my email and i'll try and keep you updated with the character. Keep up the podcast and can't wait to see what you's choose.


Shout Outs & Thank You
MoMoMoments

Hello all,
Hope everyone has had another wonderful week in game and out of game.

I have had a slow wow week as I have wasted a few good RAF days unfortunately. I was still able to get my pally/mage past level 50. The ret pally and ice mage really make a great pair. What other good dual boxing pairs do you all like? I know Shamans are common but I am looking for other combinations.
I am enjoying the mage which I may try another mage and another class combo because of the food/water/portal making options. I guess the nice aoe dps too :)

For the big boys and girls (that is the level 70s and 80s) just lots of the usual stuff. Icc for my priest and hopefully for my 80 hunter on Sunday. We did our usual Icc 10 Friday night which I was a bit late for. We had to pug about 4 spots and one of the pugs was this dk. In guild chat we were commenting how this dk's dps was so low. How low you ask!? I was out dps'ing the dk! Well I was dps-healing as there was a priest healing but she was not geared so we decided I would be the 3rd healer and do what ever else I can do.
What I have done for a while now is dps when I can even in raids (but especially in instances) while I am the healer. I was out dpsing this dk on most fights, except for the bosses. You know what, we understood this dk was gearing up so we did not say anything bad in raid chat, we worked with the dk. Is it bad we were talking in guild chat about this person, well I say no as we were able to get this person 1 piece of gear, the weekly raid and badges they did not have before which I think should count for something.

On my hunter that is 77 I have tried to do the JC daily but that doesnt always happen. He is slowly making the trek to 80.

One little story I do have to share just happened last night, as a guildy wanted to get a few more heroics in for more badges. I logged in my warrior and we joined LFD as dps and waited....waited...waited! It was about 15 minutes when I changed to my prot spec so we can finally get into the instance somewhere. Now, I do need to remind you, I have tanked before in original wow and BC; not so much in wrath.
It seems as though I always get into a bad pug or get paired up with people that just are, well to keep it clear NOT NICE! Not willing to work with a noob motank. So after I switched to tank spec, rejoined LFD and after 2-3 seconds we were in of course one of my least favorite places AN! (Azjol-Nerub, it should be call Azjol-mo's a noob). We zone in and no joke, the first thing out of this shammy was "hey tank your gs is low! this is going to take a while!" Exactly what you want to hear right? I said yes it is, and of course the other dps had already pulled the first mob. we work out way to where the mobs are before the first boss. Now I know I need to pull one group at a time but I charge in and aggro'ed 2 groups and we die because the great shammy healer was complaining instead of healing. I have healed through that with bad dps and tank; no its not ideal but it can be done. The shammy is complaining the entire time of course and I just tell him he can tank if he wants to or just work with me.
We get the first boss, get to the 2nd boss, and guess what!?
Some people believe one of the hardest achievements is:
Earned the achievement Hadronox Denied for 10 points
And we were able to get that! (I do not think it is that hard on my priest but that is just me)
The great shammy healer did not have it either, so in party chat the chah'ching sound and text went off for out achievement.
He is laughing (by emote and chat!) and says oh wow I cant believe we just got that, that is one of the hardest achievements!
*sigh*
We carry on to just before the last boss, Anub'arak, who I hate so much and I will tell you why!
As we are waiting to get the last pair of mobs, 2 dps was lagging behind so I was waiting. The shammy of course is telling me to go go go! Seriously what is wrong with some people I ask!?
We finally start the boss and my issue with this hated boss is that he had this pound, which I guess simply he pounds anyone in front of him into the ground. As a tank I guess you just need to walk through him just before this happens and if you have him face the group well = wipe. :(
We have him at about 40% I think when I get caught in a pound and die.
But wait! something wonderful happened, after more complaints the shammy left!!!
We rez'ed, I apologized to the other 2 dps while my guildy was saying dont worry about it and making me feel better.
We were able to get a holy pally in and finish with just the next try.

I know I should not let that shammy or anyone else get to me but even when I was working on my healer while leveling or gearing, certain people you may group up with will just make the game not fun at all!
If I can say anything from my experience, best option is to just keep quiet, keep trying if the group is willing to stick around and some good will come of it. I do believe it in that, and karma too. In game karma does exist I believe.

Well that is plenty of rambling, so thank you as always for a great podcast.
Have another great week and please be kind to others, never know when that other is a fragile motank :)

Take care

--
Mo

Thanks from Brian

iTunes Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment