Monday, March 9, 2009

Ctrl Alt WoW Episode 105 - Dailies, Dailies and more Dailies

Contest Ongoing send an email to ctrlaltwow@gmail.com and being placed in a drawing for a month free of WoW or an authenticator.
Visit our Website at http://ctrlaltwow.com


What We've Been Doing:

Aprillian


Auruk did the Cooking Daily 2 days in a row and got the 5 daily acheivement and the [Recipe: Delicious Chocolate Cake]. Took the Twins to Northrend to mine and pick herbs.

Then

Monday night Auruk did the wine tasting daily, running around Dalaran scavenging half glasses of wine. Had some ninja'd. Tuesday morning he ran around Crystalsomething forest picking carrots. Good thing he had a bunch of chilled meat.

Tuesdayspent the entire day in Ruby Dragonshire, grinding ghouls. Auruk got 4 bop recipes Haunted Herrings, Tasty Cupcakes, [Recipe: Last Week's Mammoth]. Got the twins to 68.

Wed morning Auruk dinged 68, did the Cooking Daily in Dalaran "Mustard Dogs", had the rhino dogs and quickly got the mustard up on the Landing. He now has 7 Dalaran Cooking Awards. He had to figure out that they were in the Currency Tab and went to Howling Fjord by accident and ended up doing the Northern Cooking Quest and completing it right away because he had Chilled Meat.

Thur it was the wine and cheese platter cooking daily. Then the twins and Auruka went to Borean Tundra to go to the ocean and kill Valkiri. Epril did her JC daily but it was one she had gotten a couple of days ago.

I started thinking about the day Aprillian goes into an instance and that maybe she should have First Aid. So I spent Friday and Sat gettting her up to 391. She had to go to Arathi Highland for the Triage. The books I didn't have on alts, I bought off the AH for 3 to 6g so it wasn't bad. Acheivement in gchat

Sat Auruk got Mustard dogs daily again, love that one. Epril got the Proto Dragonbone one, so they went to HF to try to find one. All of Aprillian NR cloth cd were available, she flew to Dragonblight.

Sun, Cheese platter Daily for Auruk and Epril got the Northrend Dwarves. Primall got to 350 on DE'ing, I don't think I need to do anything else on her.

Making it to the Dwarves in HF was easy.

Went to Nagrand with Twins, while finishing up the Death Knight Ally starting

Ashayo

Alliance Death Knight has been busy levelling herbalism and mining

Friday night Naxx run with Guppers
Started with the Construct Quarter and one shot first three bosses.
Wiped a few times on Thaddius, but got him down - so heroic construct quarter complete.
(And got the achievement even though I disconnected about 20 seconds before end of the fight!)
Rolled a 9 on tier pants :(

DwP 10 man Naxx had an impromptu weekend visit for some new boss attempts:
1 shot Instructor
1 shot Patchwerk ; which is pretty much a gear/dps check
Gave Grobbulus a couple of tries, but people are still learning the fight.

Ran quite a few Heroics. Blackangel has hit 80 and is gearing up. Was enough to get Exalted with Kirin Tor (no upgrades)
Heroic Gun'drak
Heroic Drak'tharon
Halls of Stone (managed Brann Spankin' New again)

Then ran with Dills and Kiele on Heroic Oculus, who had completed it the day before.
(Two dps, two healers, one tank)

Which completed all the heroics of Northrend - Achievement "Northrend Dungeon Master"

Heroic Culling of Stratholme to try to get drake mount
- Only two rolling on the mount twice ; I got a 9 :(
- Failed to meet the time a 3rd time.

Healed 10 man Vault of Archavon on Asheal


Glanthur

Working on continuing to gear up Arlaerus with healing epics with Emblems of Heroism.
Also, finally hit exalted with everyone but Alliance Vanguard on Glanthur.
Finally got to 450 in Leatherworking on Glanthur
Arlaerus was able to buy his way to 277 in Jewelcrafting
Achievements
Dual Spec Fears


Bladed Edge


Blade here...

Ashayo asked about the Loken fight in Halls of Lightning... yeah... you know that dance you have to do to avoid his incredibly-gross aoe explosive 'gonna-kill-yer-tank-with-one-shot' attack?

It's hard to avoid - even harder when your tank is a noob to the instance and has no idea where to go... we wiped on him once before the switch of group members, twice afterward and decided to call it there... remember my 35 gold repair bill... that was with *nothing* damaged to the point on seeing it on the little paper doll that appears when your armor is getting close to broken.
Someday I may force myself to spirit rez a bunch of times and wipe out the durability on my armor... just to see how much I'll have to pay for the 100% repairs... but I'm gonna get my epic flight skill first.
I guess I've crossed some sort of line... or managed to achieve some sort of hidden mark of quality or capability... as soon as I started tanking Heroics... I've been asked virtually non-stop to do them!
Well... not so much... but I've done one each time I've been on long enough to run an instance...
Once, it was commented that I was crazy... hehe they musta been talking to my Ol' Uncle Throgg... because it was noted that my DPS was rather high for a tank...
1000 dps to be precise...
Personally, I didn't really put any mind to it... and after a quick check (read: slog through the comments from idiots to hopefully find what you're looking for...) I found that 1000 dps is apparently right on par with where I am in instance-running... maybe even a little low... with raid-buffs and appropriate food buffs, an epically-geared warrior tank can expect to clear 1500 dps easily...
Meh... if the rest of the party takes little to no damage through the entire fight, then I did my job... I could care less how much damage I did.
Though I gotta say there is a little boost of ego when I'm #2 on the dps list when we check Recount.

Onward...

I'm now on 'The Other Side' in terms of tanking gear.
I hit the Defense minimum of 540 (vaulted right past it, actually) and now I've been collecting various pieces of gear and mixing-and-matching them to get the best benefit for the situation... be it extra threat, pushing closer to the hit cap, more stamina or whatever... and so long as my Defense never drops below 540, I'm golden.
There's something to note, as well... I am wearing very little if any Instance-gained items... the majority of my gear is from solo-able or small-party quests and crafted gear.
Not only is it possible to get to 540 Defense and 27000 health all by yourself, but it wasn't all that difficult to do... just a little either time-consuming (if you farm your own materials) or costly (if you don't).
In either case... check the AH prices... sometimes the cost of materials is vastly out of proportion to the cost of the item...

From the Dirty Little Tricks Department...
This one's another one of those 'space saving' macros multiplpe skills that don't share a cooldown... Specifically for Concussion Blow... back in the day, if I recall, this didn't do any damage... just a nice 5 second stun... but it lost its place on my toolbar because of Shockwave... being an aoe it became much more useful overall and Concussion Blow took a backseat and eventually lost its spot on my hotkey bar...
Dunno if anyone else is in the same situation, but here's a macro that brings it back...
#showtooltip? Shield Slam
/cast Shield Block
/cast Concussion Blow
/cast Shield Slam
Obviously, it's more recommended to use this when you have a few points of rage to spare... as using the two skills together is a nice, hefty 32 rage loss... but snapping your target for Concussive Blow damage and Shield Slam damage... plus a stun if your target *can* be stunned...
Oh... if you used Charge or any other stun previous to this macro... be aware of diminishing returns... so Concussion Blow will only last for around 2.5 seconds... but that's still a 2.5 second stun OFF the global cooldown... and even if you used Shockwave as well... that's still a second or so where your opponent will be not attacking you and causing you damage...
But... playing Devil's Advocate... keep in mind that Concussion Blow is another 15 rage to have to spend... so you might save this macro for multiple targets, during fights where you have a fairly decent amount of rage coming in or as an additional spell interrupt to stop casters dead in their tracks.

From Ol' Blade's Easter Egg Basket...
To Dalaran with you! In the Sisters Sorcerous shop, your proprietors are named Endora Moorehead and hagatha Moorehead... appropriately 'witchy-shounding' names...
Well they ought to be... Endora was the mother of Samantha Stevens in the 1960s television show Bewitched... with Hagatha being Samantha's seldom-seen aunt.
There was another aunt... Enchantra... I wonder where she's gotten off to...

For you Alliance types... this on'e s a kind of a two-parter... Admiral Odesyus is a level 60 questgiver located at Odesyus' Landing in the Draenei stating zone of Azuremyst Isle. Firstly... his name... Odysseus (a character in Homer's epic saga The Iliad and the title character of the following saga The Odyssey) was also a captain of a vessel with a penchant for shipwrecking on strange islands... but that's not the only thing neat about him...
During one of the quests, you have to return to him with the makings of a trap. His response to you is "I love it when a plan comes together." which is a line spoken in almost every episode of the 1980s television show The A-Team by Hannibal Smith

He also shares a bit of a humerous dialogue with another NPC:
Admiral Odesyus says: Hey, Cookie! What's for dinner tonight? And don't say chicken!
"Cookie" McWeaksauce says: Yarr, Admiral. Let me think about it... Arrr... It be comin' into focus.
"Cookie" McWeaksauce says: It looks like it be succulent pork ribs basted with its own delectable juices and a side o' Captain Sander's Secret Sauce - fer dippin'.
"Cookie" McWeaksauce says: And fer dessert we be havin' cheesecake, flown in fresh from Stormwind on the wings o' angels...
Admiral Odesyus says: Wow! Really?
"Cookie" McWeaksauce says: No. Not really...
<"Cookie" shoots a chicken>
"Cookie" McWeaksauce says: It be chicken...
Admiral Odesyus says: I hate you so much, Cookie.
And as Aprillian had been scouting about Netherstorm a little more of late... I thought I'd throw these extra ones in...
After completing the Netherstorm quest A Little Extra Kick, the giver and receiver of this quest (B.O.O.M. Master Mixologist Boots) dies. A goblin paramedic rushes in to stimulate his heart. After a couple of shocks, the paramedic screams "Dammit Boots, I'm a doctor, not a priest!"... a nice little /nod to the original series of Star Trek and the ship's doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy and his often quoted and misquoted line "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ".
Oh... another gem... the zone of Netherstorm has similar colors and chaotic theme as the Delphic Expanse (you Star Trek fans will know exactly what I'm talking about). Did you know that... prior to patch 2.4... warlocks were unable to summon into Netherstorm in a similar way that certain starship functions do not work in the Delphic Expanse of Star Trek.

As always, an awesome podcast guys!

Loremaster Blade

Emails

Email #1 from Kyle

First off love your podcast <3 I really enjoy listening to you all chat about what you've been up to and the interesting sites you've encountered and the occasional oddness the happens.

Anyway, just a few odd ideas I thought of and would like to share to see what you think.

First, just now Thrall was killed (sad!), and people were going on about how we should defend it, Org should be the hardest raid and we just let them kill him, and others responding "oh quit QQing it's not like he's not going to respawn." Well what if he didn't respawn? What if here was like a day or more delay in Thrall's respawn, and maybe everyone who was in the town that lost the raid gets some sort of day-long debuff. That would certainly promote more town defending, rather than the "we'll let you kill our leader if we can kill yours" mentality. I mean where's the love, does noone love Thrall or Sylvanas?

Thought 1.5: The assault to take back Undercity (near end of a long questline in Dragonblight) was epic! Fighting alongside Thrall and Sylvanas made me love them more ^_^ There should be more epic quests like that where you fight with either the two of them.

Second random thought/question: while leveling my undead priest I fell in love with the Outlands. I recieved invites to instances about every 15 minutes, and I did well and recieved compliments of nice heals and such. Such wonderful times! Then I got to Northrend, and it kicked me in the butt. My first time trying to do Uthgard Keep we wiped at the first boss and couldn't go further. Of course I got the blame for bad heals, but the tank kept taking so much damage I just couldn't keep up! It would be like one or two hits and he'd be already at 25% health. Now we were all around 68 - 70, so were we just probably too low leveled (but I tried a couple more times with different groups with the same result, and in the end someone got an 80 friend to run it for us), or are Northrend instances that much harder compared to the Outlands? Since that time I respecced from holy to shadow and just stuck to soloing, but now that I'm nearing 80 I want to respec again to holy and do healing again, but am afraid I just won't be able to cut it. Advice?

Thanks again, and keep up the awsome work!

Oh, and for the Horde!

Kyle
ThouThou - Bleeding Hollow

Email #2 from Valathilia


Woot
Hey there guys
Valathilia here
Your last podcast was good considering Ashayo and Glanthur were seperated, still great! Thank you for giving me the priest tips it helped me alot. And aprillian how do you do it leveling so many alts I have such a hard time leveling my lock, priest, and Druid alone. Well guys thank you for the great podcast and byfar out of all all the podcast I listen to, your the one I look foward to the most :) plus how can't I you guys are great
For the horde
- Valathilia

Email #3 from Tarqq


Hello Aprillian, Ashayo and Glanthur! I enjoyed your show and I wanted to re-extend my offer to run Aprillian through Kara. If we can coordinate a time that works, I'll gather the troops and we'll show you the funnage that is Karazhan. We usually run at 1am server to 4am server since we're all on West Coast time. As for Naxx, we would absolutely love to bring you in to check things out. DwP, team Beautiful, has an open door for our friends at CtrlAltWoW. I guess that includes you too Glanthur, but we have loot rules that are not too kind to those squishy alliance folks. Just kidding. We can all tell that deep inside is that dark side that is.. THE HORDE! As for Mr. Ashayo, it's always a blast to have a celebrity amongst our group. But do we still have to call you Mr. Ashayo, Podcaster of CtrlAltWoW, everytime we address you?

Keep up the great work and I'll be looking forward to being your Karazhan Tour Guide!

Tarqq and the crew of DwP, team Beautiful!

Email #4 from Lesaun
*Blows on dice*
Love the show!

Email #5 from Karen

Just a quick note on behalf of my husband (he doesn't actually listen to your podcast, but I tell him all about it after I listen to it).

He's looking for a new recipe addon to let him know what recipes his toons don't know and where to get them. He uses Recipe Radar and loves it when it's working correctly, but it's been erratic of late. I thought I remembered you guys talking about a Recipe addon and we looked at Recipe Book, but that just seems to list the recipes your alts know (or are we missing something?).

What do you guys use to find recipes?

Great job on the recent episodes, as usual. I love hearing from all three of you and you're definitely a breath of fresh air after listening to my other wow podcasts, which can tilt heavily towards the raiding outlook.

That said, I'm actually working on getting my horde hunter to 80 so that I can help out in my niece's raiding guild. The family that plays together, stays together, you know.

For the Horde,

Karen

Email #6 From Bryan

Hey, Bryan again here. I just wanted to get back in touch with Ashayo to reply to him about the Reaper mouse. When you open the Reaper settings in the system tray, they label the last button as "7th button". I have had no problems getting to map so I'm not sure what the issue might be for you. What keys are you mapping them to? I am using Home, End, Backspace for the 5th, 6th, and 7th buttons respectively. Something you may want to try is using an addon that allows you to "hover map" buttons. Two addons that I use are Dominos and Autobar [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/auto-bar.aspx]. I currently have "mount" mapped to the 7th button / backspace though Autobar. If you need any assistance with this, please email me back.

This should work. Good luck and best wishes,

-Bryan

Email #7 From Keelhaul

Ashayo,

Last week I emailed and spoke about hunters and how they are my favorite class. When I was talking about warlocks and their pets I was not talking about the utility of the pet, I think we have all seen the videos with locks soloing some impressive stuff with their pets; I was talking about the pet skins. A voidwalker is a voidwaker is a voidwalker ect…

I was merely saying how I appreciated the choices that hunters have when choosing their pets.

Aprillian,

One thing you might want to try selling when transferring horde pets to the alliance side is the starting gear and weapons in the blood elf starting zone. It’s all level 1 gear that looks gear. I tend to do beteter with the starting weapons, Mana Staff ect, than I do on the armor. But I have sold all pieces at one time or another, just be carefull not to flood the market. Most of the items can be purchased for a silver or less and I sell them for 20 gold each on the alliance AH. A lot of folks like to dress up their level one bank alts, and this stuff is perfect for doing that ;)

Glanthur,

I will be starting the Son’s of Hodir quests this weekend, hopefully. Thank you very much for the battle naked tip when doing the Thrusting Hodir’s Spear quest. There will be at least one more necked dorf hanging onto a flying dragon. lol

Thanks again for the great podcast guys.

-Keelhaul

79 dorf hunter



Thanks and stuff


Thanks No. 1 from Jeff

Hey guys,

Listened to episode 104 last night, and was excited to hear my email story of "I found my soulmate in Hellfire Penninsula" on the show.
Good Show too....thanks guys!

And WoW....when Ashayo rolled a 1 and my baby and I heard that I won the contest thingy.....Woot! How totally cool. Maybe I need to play the lotto this weekend....lol

Anyways, as far as the prize goes, I would like to get an authenticator when they become available.


Thanks again so much for the show and to Ashayo for rolling a 1 ;–)

Sincerely,
Jeff (aka Maestoso and his beautiful Warlock lady Solareia on the Undermine Realm)

Take Care Kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment